For weeknights where I need a delicious and convenient meal waiting for me when I get home from afternoon activities, these Slow Cooker Asian Beef Bowls with Broccoli are just the thing to serve for dinner!
If your family loves take out style foods, this is one recipe they are also going to love. Inspired by Disney’s all-new, live-action epic adventure The Jungle Book, I’ve partnered with the National Honey Board for its “Momentos de Oro en Familia” (“Golden Family Time”) campaign and created this delicious recipe, where the honey is the perfect addition to the savory flavors of the Asian inspired sauce. As you can see from this quick video, making this recipe is a breeze.
I love my slow cooker. What’s not to love? All you have to do is throw in your ingredients at the beginning of the day, and a delicious homemade dinner is ready for you when you come home.
In this recipe, the beef cooks in the slow cooker in a delicious honey-based sauce. The honey gives it a thicker texture and a natural sweetness, and the Asian flavors compliment it nicely. I let it cook all day and it’s good to go! Before serving it for dinner, all you have to do is cook the broccoli and rice.
Sometimes I preset my rice cooker to end at the same time as the slow cooker, while other times I use leftover rice to make it even easier.
The best thing about “bowl” meals is that everyone can add as much of each ingredient as they want! While my boys don’t like the “trees” so big, my daughter loves broccoli. She nicknamed this recipe “Honey Forest Bowls.”
Leftovers freeze great, and I often freeze single serving portions of these honey forest bowls for my husband’s lunch. If you want to turn this into a freezer meal, you can place all the ingredients (except the rice and broccoli) in a freezer zip bag and freeze. Whenever you want to cook this terrific meal all you have to do is thaw and cook!
If you eat grain-free, cauliflower rice would be delicious as the base instead of regular rice.
The next time your family asks for takeout, pull out your slow cooker and let it do the cooking for you! Everyone will go back for seconds of this Honey Forest Bowl.
What is your favorite way to use honey in a savory recipe?
Asian Beef and Broccoli Bowls Recipe
Do your kids like takeout? They will love this tastier recipe!
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cubed or
- Sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets, about 2 crowns
- Inside the bowl of the slow cooker, place honey, soy sauce, beef broth, grated garlic, sesame oil, vinegar, ginger, chili paste, onion powder, and pepper. With a whisk, combine all ingredients.
- Place cubed beef
insideslow cooker and toss to combine with sauce, until all beef cubes are covered.
- Cover and cook, on low heat for 8 hours or high 4 hours. In the final 5 minutes, just prior to serving, add sesame seeds and green onions.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, prior to serving, cook 2 cups of rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, steam broccoli
ona steamer or microwave.
- To serve, build a bed of rice, about 1/3 cup cooked, top with beef and steamed broccoli.
From time to time, I work with awesome companies to develop recipes for this website. Today’s post was brought to you by the National Honey Board. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.