If eating dessert for breakfast were always this good for you, I’m pretty sure we’d be happier people. Oh, wait, I didn’t mean that these Banana Split Overnight Oats were dessert, they taste like it, but it feels like you are eating dessert without any of the guilt.
I tend to get carried away with all things “Holiday flavored” until it’s no longer time-of-the-year appropriate to eat that recipe. Example: you’ll find me baking pumpkin scones in June or making Eggnog pancakes in August. Because hello deliciousness!
But banana split anything is entirely another thing as you will see in this video.
Of course, the no-waste mentality goes a long way when you consider that my job is to get creative with all things food. So, although it’s December and fresh strawberries are more expensive than a pound of meat, you can use frozen ones and chop them into small pieces for these overnight oats. The little berry chunks incorporate into the oats as they thaw leaving a flavorful trail of sweetness in each bite.
If you have a little bit more time or your oatmeal is already cooked, you can make a Banana Split Oatmeal Bar and eat them that way. It’s a family favorite around here!
Wait a minute, are you telling me that you are lucky enough to live in or around California where fresh strawberries are available ten months out of the year? Well then, I’m not sure what you are waiting for because if you have fresh strawberries around, you’ve got to try this!
Banana Split Overnight Oats
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 4 teaspoons ground flax
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- On a flat surface, place 4 bowls or lidded glass jars. Fill each with 1teaspoon ground flax, ½ cup oats, ¾ cup milk, and ½ tablespoon maple syrup. Using a spoon, mix to combine.
- Top each oat mixture with banana slices, then strawberry slices, and a tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, serve cold or warm up for 30 seconds in the microwave.