Chocolate covered anything is always good. My oldest two kids are not very fond of fruit with tiny little “seeds.” However, these chocolate covered kiwi pops were a big hit with my youngest.
My grandmother ate kiwis all winter long. She used to say that their high level vitamin C helped her keep the colds away. It’s cold and sick bugs seem to be abundant this time of the year. Because of this, I am willing to try anything. Schools are full of runny noses, coughs, and everything else in between -yuck!
If you have fruit resistant kids like I do, get them to help you cover the kiwi pieces in chocolate. The activity is not only fun but also a great one to keep them occupied while you prep dinner, empty the dishwasher, do laundry, and everything else we busy parents need to do while the kids want to be entertained. In my world, food is the entertainment and these chocolate covered kiwis are healthy and delicious at the same time.
Healthy? Yes, chocolate is full of antioxidants and therefore; they are a necessity and in its own food group!
Have a fruit you want your kids to try? Try covering it in chocolate! I bet they will try it.
Chocolate Covered Kiwi
- Yield: 3-4
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks (chocolate chips will work)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a double broiler. For microwave melting, follow the directions on your package and stir frequently. Chocolate will burn.
- Insert popsicle sticks into the kiwi slices far enough to hold the fruit without piercing through the other end.
- Dip kiwi slices into melted chocolate, and rest over wax paper or standing up on an egg carton until chocolate is cooled.
- You can user sprinkles to decorate chocolate kiwis or leave them as is. After chocolate is dried, eat and enjoy!