This corn and tomato salad with avocado is the perfect side dish for grilling season!
It’s no secret that I love to grill during the hot summer months. Mostly because living in the South means that whenever I turn on the oven inside or our stove for any amount of time, it heats up the kitchen.
For today’s recipe, I’ve partnered with Libby’s Fruits and Vegetables, the makers of Libby’s Vegetable Pouches. The pouches are a great way to help busy families (like mine) enjoy deliciously, farm fresh vegetables when you want to make good food in a hurry –Like my Skillet Pot Pie recipe.
This means that I often prep salads like this one in little to no time, and keep it in the fridge for a quick grab-and-go side, one that requires minimal assembly and no cooking. Yes, I did say minimal assembly. Check out the video and see how easy it is to put together!
This salad comes together with fresh tomatoes from my mom’s garden in just minutes. She’s so cute; she calls me a few times a week asking how I’m doing with my tomato supply. That supply is nonexistent on my end unless I buy them because I don’t have a green thumb. Thankfully, both my parents do so I get to enjoy the fruit of their labor.
This salad I learned from my mom, who faces the “how am I going to eat all the tomatoes from my garden with enough variety to be excited about them for a couple of months.” After eating this salad at her house a few times, it’s now my go-to side dish recipe.
It’s also great for when I need to bring a side dish to a party or potluck since I nearly always have some of Libby’s Vegetable Pouches in my pantry giving me the help I need to add extra veggies to any meal.
Today, I served it with grilled beef skewers, which are also a summertime favorite because they can also be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge until it’s time to cook them. You can, of course, serve this wonderful salad with grilled chicken, shrimp, or fish!
What I love about using Libby’s Vegetable Pouches is that they are perfect for warm-weather recipes, or, the easiest side dish alongside your grilling masterpieces, which means you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time dining al fresco.
The crunchy texture and sweet corn flavor makes this salad the perfect lettuce cup stuffer; and if you’ve followed my blog for a while, you know I’m a big fan of filling lettuce cups with just about anything!
I know you are going to love this delicious salad recipe as a quick dinner solution this summer.
How do you incorporate veggies into your summer side dishes?
Corn and Tomato Summer Salad
- Yield: 3-5
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14 oz.) Libby’s Whole Kernel Sweet Corn Vegetable Pouch, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumber
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 Boston bibb lettuce, washed, leaves separated
- 6-10 beef (or chicken) skewers, for grilling
- Make the dressing by combining basil, olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake to combine.
- Heat up your grill or oven broiler and cook beef skewers, making sure to flip them over half way through.
- Meanwhile, prepare sweet corn salad by placing corn, tomatoes, avocado pieces, cucumber, and shallots inside a bowl. Drizzle dressing over corn mixture and gently toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, place some corn and tomato salad inside a lettuce leaf and serve with grilled beef skewers.
From time to time, I work with awesome companies to develop recipes for this website. Today’s post was brought to you by Libby’s Fruits and Vegetables. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.