Who’s looking to skip the take-out this week? I am! With these Easy Chicken and Vegetable Teriyaki Bowls recipe, you too will enjoy the benefits of take-out at home.
I’m pretty sure the ingredients are already in your pantry and fridge since this recipe uses fresh and real ingredients you’ve already selected to make other meals.
These satisfying and delicious Chicken and Vegetable Teriyaki Bowls are a quick-to-prep dinner. Thinly sliced chicken is sauteed until juicy and simmered with broccoli, zucchini and carrots then finished with a delicious sauce. Trust me, after you see how easy this is, you’ll forget all about the take out— and avoid the mystery ingredients too!
What’s awesome is that this is my “come-to-the-rescue” dinner recipe because I always have a few pieces of chicken breasts and a few bags of broccoli in the freezer -for emergencies and of course just a few carrots and that one zucchini that needs to be cooked, hanging out in the fridge. And man, more than once this recipe has come to rescue on a dinner emergency.
I like to assemble the bowls by placing a layer of rice and topping it with a serving of the chicken and vegetable stir-fry. This dish took a whopping 10 minutes from start to finish! There is nothing I like more than cooking something that’s yummy and takes almost no time to prepare.
If you are not used to making Asian recipes at home, this would be a terrific recipe to start with since it’s very simple. What’s even better is that you can use the basic premise of the recipe and swap out the chicken for shrimp, thinly sliced steak, or tofu. The veggies are customizable too; so all in all, it’s one recipe that can be customized to your family’s favorite ingredients.
I often double the recipe and store portions inside individual containers so I can send one to school inside a thermos or bring to the office for lunch the next day.
What are your favorite ingredients to build your stir-frys?
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch thin cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into half moons and quartered (1½ cups)
- 1½ cups matchstick carrots
- 2½ cups small diced broccoli florets
- 1 cup favorite teriyaki sauce
- 2 cups rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat up 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken breasts and cook, stirring throughout, until the chicken is browned in all sides and cooked through to an internal temperature of 165F. Remove the chicken from pan onto a plate, cover, and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and warm it up over medium-high heat. Add the chopped zucchini, broccoli, and carrots and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes until crisp tender. Add chicken back into the pan, pour sauce, toss to cover and turn off heat.
- Assemble the bowls by placing a layer of rice and topping it with a serving of the chicken and vegetable stir-fry.