I love crab cakes, but they can be time-consuming to make, the ingredients are expensive, and being that they are fried they are not that healthy. So the real challenge is, how do I make a healthier and affordable version with minimal effort? Today’s recipe, of course, is the answer!
I’ve partnered up Hampton Creek to bring you this deliciously easy recipe made with my favorite Just Mayo flavor: Chipotle!
The chipotle mayo is used to bind and flavor these salmon cakes, eliminating measuring out seasonings. By using canned salmon, I found these salmon cakes to be an affordable meal.
These salmon cakes are also naturally gluten-free (and Paleo) since I used sweet potato instead of bread crumbs. Add those, plus a few other ingredients and I have a high protein meal idea.
Living in the South, I have a lot of fresh seafood available nearly year-round, which means that we eat it at least once a week. Salmon, however, can get pricey when feeding 6 of us for dinner, so this is the perfect solution to get all the Omega 3 benefits!
The first time I made these, I told my family we had salmon cakes for dinner. My daughter said: “Mom, you mean crab cakes!” When we sat down to eat, they still did not believe it was salmon. Apparently, they “don’t taste fishy at all!” she exclaimed.
Figuring out the perfect amount of seasoning can get tricky. Even though we live in the South, spice is not something that sits well with my kids. By using the Chipotle flavored Just Mayo, I eliminated all the seasoning, and it was a winner flavor for my kids.
Just Mayo has a creamy texture and bright flavor that rivals even homemade mayo. The ingredients are the type you can feel good about eating, and it comes in four tasty flavors – Original, Chipotle, Sriracha, and Garlic.
Want to kick these salmon cakes up a notch? Substitute the Sriracha flavored mayo for the Chipotle. That is the kind of adult salmon cake you are going to want to eat all the time.
Just Mayo is the easy choice for those of you with allergies or special diets since it is egg-free, soy-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, gluten-free, nut-free, non-GMO, and kosher. So if you have a lot of allergies in the house, it’s a great choice for store bought mayo.
Back to the salmon cakes. I made a quick video to show you how these salmon cakes come together in a bowl, without having to hand shape them or frying!
What’s terrific about these salmon cakes is that leftovers can be packed inside a lunchbox and brought to the office. This recipe is a win-win meal for me!
What’s your favorite way of using Just Mayo?
Easy Salmon Cakes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
For the Salmon Cakes:
- 14 ounces canned salmon, drained
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/3 cup mashed baked sweet potato (about 1 very large sweet potato)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Just Mayo Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Just Mayo Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 12-muffin pan with oil or spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the salmon, onions, and cilantro. Add the mashed sweet potato to the mixture, and gently combine.
- Add eggs, Chipotle mayo, and red pepper flakes. Using your hands, mix everything so you can be sure all the salmon is thoroughly mixed in with the sweet potato.
- Fill each greased mini muffin tin with about 2 tablespoons worth of mixture. Press down with the back of a teaspoon (or your fingers) until it’s compacted in.
- Bake the salmon cakes for about 16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. The easiest way to remove from the muffin tin and wire rack together and then giving them a good shake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine Chipotle Mayo, water, and lime juice.
- Serve salmon cakes over a bed of lettuce and drizzle with Chipotle Lime Sauce.
From time to time, I work with awesome companies to develop recipes for this website. Today’s post was brought to you by Hampton Creek. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.