I cannot believe I haven’t shared this hummus veggie club sandwich yet since it’s one of my favorite meat-free office lunches.
As you know, I typically eat grain-free, but this is one sandwich I indulge with using my son’s gluten-free bread. I love layering on the hummus instead of mayo over my bread, especially when it’s a flavored hummus. I feel it takes the sandwich up a notch, as Emeril would say, and it’s truly delicious.
Watch how easy it is to make in this short video.
It should come to no surprise that I would also use it in a sandwich. My husband, who doesn’t like “cold and crunchy” in his sandwiches, he also doesn’t like salads, by the way, likes this sandwich grilled. This is a great option because the melted cheese will remind you of a grilled cheese, but healthier!
I frequently make my easy broccoli pesto for dinner. It’s a perfect way to get my kids to eat broccoli, without them knowing. I always make enough pesto to use for other meals in the week. It’s perfect on this Hummus Veggie Club Sandwich, because the pesto complements the hummus!
Whether you buy or make your own pesto, this is one delicious way of using up some of the leftover sauce that’s ben sitting in your fridge.
My final note is that you don’t have to make this sandwich a triple-decker; but you know I could’t call it a club sandwich had I left it with two pieces of bread, right? Grab some bread, head to your fridge and make yourself one. You’ll be glad you did.
Do you have a favorite sandwich? If so, what’s in it?
Hummus Veggie Club Sandwich
This recipe can also be found in my cookbook The Best Homemade Kids’ Lunches on the Planet.
- Yield: 1 sandwich
- 3 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) Greek hummus
- 1/2 medium steak tomato, sliced thin
- 2 slices (40 g) provolone
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) pesto
- Lay all three bread slices on a flat surface. Spread 1tablespoon hummus onto one bread slice. Top with half of the tomato slices and one slice of provolone.
- On second slice of bread, spread half of the pesto and flip pesto side down to close sandwich. Spread remaining pesto on top of the sandwich, top with remaining tomato slices and provolone.
- Spread one tablespoon of hummus on remaining bread slice. Flip hummus side down to close sandwich.
From time to time, I work with awesome companies to develop recipes for this website. Today’s post was brought to you by Sabra Dipping Co. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.