I love a great soup recipe, but what I love most is a great soup recipe that I can make rather quickly and feeds my little army. Today’s Mexican Vegetable Soup recipe is filling, full of hearty flavors and aromas, and it’s super easy to make!
I know you’ll appreciate is the simple ingredients and steps to make this hearty soup. Check out how easy it is to make in this (very) quick video.
By the time 5:30 pm comes around, I’m feeling slightly jet-lagged -and not from flying back from Spain. You know, that tired feeling where your eyes get a little droopy and then the thought “is it bedtime yet?” passes your mind. So, to get through dinner time without any hiccups, I try to plan meals that are easy to prep and make.
Something I try to do to save prep time with this recipe is to chop all the veggies ahead of time, up to 4 days ahead of time and keep them in the fridge. To save even more time, I chop all the veggies in my food processor.
Years ago, when my kids refused to eat a “lumpy soup” I’d blend this in the blender for a smooth consistency. I still have to do that for one of my kids since he still has severe texture issues. However, that’s one easy step I can do that only takes a few seconds.
My favorite part of this recipe, other than eating it, is how great my kitchen smells while it’s cooking on the stove. It has a similar aroma to my All Meat and Veggie Chili recipe except it’s a lot soupier, and this one is vegetarian.
You know what else is great about this recipe? It freezes great, and you can throw everything in a slow cooker (except the rice) and cook it for 4 hours on high or 8 on low heat.
What are some of your favorite soup recipes?
Mexican Bean and Vegetable Soup
With mild, robust flavors, this soup is perfect for a cold day. Originally published in my cookbook, The Best Homemade Kid’s Lunches on the Planet.
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (130 g) carrots, coarsely diced
- 1/2 cup (75 g) green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (80 g) onion, diced
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 cloves (6 g) garlic, minced
- 1 14
ouncecan (396) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14
ouncecan (400 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (940 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons (14 g) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (2.6 g) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (95 g) uncooked rice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add in carrots, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and garlic. Sauté until just tender, and add in the cumin, oregano and chili powder. Stir and cook for a minute until spices are fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes, broth, beans and water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and simmer for an additional 20 minutes (35 if you use brown rice). Garnish with cilantro to serve.