You know when your body wants something sweet, but you just want none of the guilt? I have those moments all the time, and these Healthy Chocolate Chip Blondies is one of the recipes that comes to the rescue!
When I think of the foods my body craves, it’s usually salty things like nuts, cheese, olives, hummus… I mean, growing up in Spain that’s what we had for snack regularly, salty things. Like in the afternoons, I’d sit with my grandpa playing cards while shelling peanuts and eating olives.
However, I hate to admit that I’ve developed quite a sweet tooth through recipe development. I try all things, snack on all things, and therefore, eat all things!
I made these blondies after a group of ladies in my boxing class brought a batch to eat from “a Pinterest recipe that I had to modify because I didn’t have half of the ingredients.” Oh, how familiar this was to my ears since I know that sometimes people change things and then don’t always come out as described. Ha!
Making these is a very simple process. Can you mix ingredients in a bowl with a spoon and then press them down into a container? Seriously, it’s that easy. Check out this video where I show you how to make them.
On a final note, I’ve made these with added protein powder, up to 1/4 of a cup, for extra nutrition and been able to reduce the honey in half by removing 1-2 tablespoons of coconut flour. How do you know it’s going to hold together? When the texture in the bowl has the consistency of playdough, and you pinch it, and it holds together. Trial and error I tell you.
Are you a chocolate brownie person or a blondie person?
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana, add peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. Once the mixture is cohesive and creamy, add in the coconut flour and combine well. The final step is to add in chocolate chips and combine.
- Spread mixture into a lined pan with your hands, pressing down and spreading evenly, to about ½ thick. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Picking up the parchment paper, remove from pan and cut into individual squares.
- You can wrap them individually or in an airtight container and refrigerate them for a week. They can also be wrapped individually and frozen for up to a month.