Do you love lasagna, but dread the layering of noodles, meat, cheese, repeat…and repeat? What if I told you that by making this Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup recipe you won’t have to layer anything and you don’t dirty as many dishes? I get you.
Wait a minute. Soup? Yes. Soup. I know the weather is getting warmer in much of the country but a good slow cooker meal never goes out of style, at least not this one!
Calling this recipe easy is an understatement for this delicious twist on a classic Italian meal. Watch this video and see how easy this recipe is to make!
In the summertime, this recipe is the perfect solution to preventing my kitchen from heating up the house while I bake a pan of lasagna for over an hour. No to mention, the recipe is one of those you set and forget about until it’s time to serve. This soup tastes just like Lasagna without all the prep fuss.
My kids get very excited when I make this soup. It’s a spin on their already favorite Skillet Lasagna Recipe. What’s great about this recipe is that you can use gluten-free pasta and add it in the last 30 minutes until it’s done. And just last week I tried this recipe with grain-free pasta made with almond flour (I found it in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods). It was amazing!
This recipe, like so many others in this website, is perfect for times where my 4-year-old is trying to help cook. He can just fill the ingredients in the slow cooker and then it’s ready at meal time. Because my friends, having a hearty meal like this one ready prevents him from getting “hangry” (totally an accurate term to describe him if you follow me on Snapchat) in the evenings.
I hope you try this slow cooker version of the classic Lasagna and it becomes a favorite in your family as well.
What recipes do you like to make in the slow cooker?
- 1 pound (455 g) ground beef, browned
- 3 cups (705 ml) beef broth
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 4-5 cloves (12 g-15 g) garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons (4g) Italian seasoning
- ½ cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 1 28 ounce can (800 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can (90 g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable juice (or water)
- 2 cups (186 g) uncooked shell pasta
- ¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) black ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 1½ cups (173 g) shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Inside your crockpot, mix the can of tomatoes and tomato paste. Add broth, ground beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, vegetable juice and salt/pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- In the final 30 minutes, add in 1 cup of water and noodles. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Serve and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- For school lunch: Preheat a thermos container and fill with warm soup.