You all know I’m not the crafty type of mom but when it comes to breakfast, I love to try new things. And let me tell you about these Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast Roll-Ups… one bite and my kids and I were smitten!
These roll-ups are crispy on the outside from the cinnamon sugar coating, and soft on the inside with fresh berries and whipped cream cheese. I consider them the perfect Saturday morning breakfast. Or, packed for lunch yogurt and fresh fruit.
French toast is already a crowd-pleaser around my house. Unfortunately, it’s not always practical for breakfast on a busy mid-week morning since it’s not technically portable or as simple as oatmeal or scrambled eggs.
I gotta give credit, where it’s due, and that’s the uneaten half-loaf of sliced bread that was sitting in the pantry begging to be used -you know, when the bread doesn’t feel as soft because one of the kids left the bag open… yeah, you know.
Let me tell you, I get inspired really quick when food is at risk of being tossed out, how you do you think I came up with Taco Pizza, Taco Grilled Cheese, and DIY Nachos? Exactly. Let no food go to waste.
Of course, everyone knows that bread on the verge of going stale must be used to make french toast, so that’s exactly what I did, but tweaked it so it can be enjoyed on-the-go.
Instead of cooking the whole piece of bread, with the berries in a separate sauce, you roll it flat, spread some whipped cream cheese, and top with fresh chopped berries, roll it up, and ta-da! You have a Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast Roll-Up!
So if you’re wondering, can these be frozen? The answer is yes, and yes! I freeze these roll-ups after I make them and they’ve had a chance to cool off.
They thaw out in about 5 minutes and then I put them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully that they don’t burn.
Alternatively, they can be prepped ahead of time without being dipped in the egg mixture and frozen. When you are ready to use these for breakfast or to pack for lunch (highly recommended) remove them from the freezer, dip in the egg wash and cook. Yes, I love it too!
You could swap the whipped cream cheese for Nutella or peanut butter, which will probably be my next version of this recipe but no matter how you roll em these make morning time pretty SWEET! But for now… give these strawberries and cream stuffed french toast roll-ups a try.
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast Roll-Ups
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 8 roll-ups
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices sandwich bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, diced small
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, for cooking
- In a small dish, combine the sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- On a flat surface, flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin. Spread the cream cheese over each slice. Place 1 tablespoon of diced berries along the edge of each piece of bread. Tightly roll up the bread.
- Dip each bread roll into the egg mixture.
- In a medium, non-stick skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. Place the rolls 3 to 4 at a time into the hot skillet and cook 3 minutes or until golden brown before flipping and cooking for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 roll-ups
- Calories: 473
- Fat: 15.4g
- Carbohydrates: 62.9g
- Fiber: 9.4g
- Protein: 4.7g