Have dinner ready in 15 minutes with these Taco Stuffed Lettuce Cups! Full of classic taco flavor, this is a gluten and grain free meal everyone will love.
If you can’t tell already, my family loves tacos. What’s not to love? All sorts of delicious ingredients stuffed inside a tortilla and seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning which makes anything delicious. We also love these easy crockpot chicken tacos and these meatless chickpea tacos when we want something different. No matter what the filling might be, tacos are always a fun family meal.
Many of you know that I’m a recovering short order cook. That means, that I used to make multiple meals for my family because our kids didn’t want to eat the same things. But, a few years ago, I decided to stop that and made the decision to only make one recipe for the entire family instead. And tacos are always a winner with the kids.
Since I know my kids will eat tacos, it’s a dinner I cook often. Two out of my three don’t eat these in a lettuce cup and you know what? It’s ok. Essentially we are eating the same meal and all I’m doing is changing out the serving vessel. I’m able to slowly introduce them to new foods, like chickpeas, pork, because they think everything is chicken, and even squash.
What I like about tacos is that I’m able to slowly introduce them to new foods, while still giving them a meal they will eat. It’s a win for everyone.
I bet you already have most of the ingredients for these tacos. Dinner tonight, anyone? All you need is some meat, veggies, and toppings. It’s the recipe I automatically think of when we get home at 6:30 with nothing ready for dinner. In 15 minutes, a fresh and healthy dinner will be served and everyone will be happy.
Another great thing about taco night is that everyone can build their own tacos. Put out all your family’s favorite toppings in bowls on the counter and let your kids pile on anything they want. My family especially loves avocado, salsa, and cheese. Watch how easy these are to make.
In those “OMG what am I going to make for dinner” moments, I hope you think of this recipe and whip it up for your family. I know everyone will love it!
What is your go-to dinner recipe when you’re crunched for time?
Taco Stuffed Lettuce Cups
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 Boston Bibb lettuce heads, leaves removed
- Shredded Mexican cheese, chunky salsa, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, for garnishing and serving
- On alarge skilletover medium-high heat, warm up oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until it begins to soften. Add meat and garlic; season with salt and taco seasoning. Continue to cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, for about 5-7 minutes until it’s cooked through. Turn off heat, cover, and gather remaining garnishing ingredients.
- Plate 1-2 lettuce cups on a plate, fill with beef mixture, and top with favorite toppings and garnishes.