Feb 20, 2017
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Just when you thought you had seen it all in a taco, I come around with this crazy version that includes kale. But before you dismiss these, hang tight and let me explain.
Three years ago, when I began to develop recipes for my third cookbook, The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet,I had a call-for-ideas from my MOMables community. This recipe came from Wendi who made these for her son Beckam, and it’s one of their family favorites.
In today’s version, I use ground buffalo meat, just like Wendi shared with me, but I’ve made them with ground beef and ground turkey, and it always comes out delicious. Check out this video to see how quickly they come together in the skillet.
As many of you know, tacos are a way to my heart, right after coffee, of course, and this recipe makes an appearance our weekly taco night from time to time.
You might be thinking that there is no way kale can taste good in a taco, but I’d argue that when finely chopped, it wilts down to a texture very similar to spinach, which you can substitute in this recipe if you don’t have kale on hand.
For the most part, the meal comes together in about 15-20 minutes inside a large skillet, making it a breeze to prepare and cleanup is minimal. Don’t you love that type of recipes? I sure do!
I almost forgot! You can also serve the delicious meat and kale taco filling inside my grain-free tortilla recipe another great recipe from my cookbook.
What is your favorite way to stuff a taco?
Buffalo Kale Tacos
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ pound ground grass-fed buffalo
- ½ cup carrots grated
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups kale leaves sliced into thin strips
- 8 hard taco shells
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Guacamole or sliced avocados
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Olives
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Once heated, add ground buffalo meat, carrots, onion, and garlic. Toss beef around while it cooks to break it up. Cooking for about 5 minutes, until the meat begins to brown and the veggies soften.
- Add salt, chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste. Add in kale strips, toss to combine, and add the water; reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until kale has softened.
- Scoop mixture into taco shells. Top with pico de gallo, avocados, sour cream, sliced black olives, or your favorite toppings.
Ok, as a taco fan, I gotta admit that kale tacos sounded weird… till I tried them! The combination of kale and ground buffalo is epic!