Mornings can be tough. If you’re anything like me you probably don’t function too well before you get that first cup of coffee down. After that, things ease up and my world becomes a better place.
For me, the only thing better than a morning coffee… is a better cup of coffee. Since August of 2013, I’ve been drinking Bulletproof Coffee.
Bulletproof whaaaat?! LOL. Bulletproof coffee. No, it doesn’t give you superpowers but I’ve experienced a lot of positive benefits since drinking bulletproof coffee.
I’ve you’ve never heard of Bulletproof Coffee before, essentially it’s brewed high-quality coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT or Brain Octane Oil. MCT and Brain Octane are a concentrated form caprylic fatty acids. MCT is 9 times and Brain Octane is 18 times stronger than coconut oil, which also possesses these essential fatty acids.
But first, let me tell you why I upgraded my coffee beans and bought the Bulletproof brand. Within a few hours of drinking my morning cup of coffee, I was experiencing energy crashes. At best, I felt the type of crash that led me craving a second cup of coffee and a morning fix of carbs (or sugars); at worst, I’d get jittery or get headaches. By 2 pm, I was ready for a nap and another cup of coffee or a sugar fix.
At first, I thought it was because I needed to get more sleep, but that wasn’t the case. Now that I have a bed I absolutely love, I can tell you it wasn’t the quality of my sleep. It was my coffee and the mycotoxins in it that were triggering headaches, jitters, and cravings. And unhealthy cravings for sugar or carbs are never a good thing, they are a sign that your body needs or lacks something.
Adding Butter to the Coffee
The first crazy question is WHY BUTTER? Right. Butter does not make you fat, it’s unhealthy processed fats that our bodies don’t know what to do with that do, not a small dose of grass-fed butter rich in vitamin K. A morning muffin or bagel with butter + jelly probably has more butter than my cup of coffee, so it’s a matter of perspective. When blended, the butter gives the coffee the most delicious, creamy, rich texture and flavor you’ll ever try. Plus, it helps to keep me satiated for hours and it curves my cravings.
If you are wondering, why grass-fed butter? Here is why:
- Grass-fed butter is higher than grain-fed butter in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin D, vitamin E, and antioxidants. You can actually see the difference in the butter: grass-fed butter is a sunny yellow color, while grain-fed/factory-farmed butter is almost white. The lack of color is a sign that the butter is coming from sick, nutrient-depleted cows.
- Grass-fed butter is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid. Studies show that butyrate can both prevent and decrease inflammation in humans. In rodents, studies have shown butyrate to protect against mental illness, improve body composition, increase metabolism, and improve gut health.
Adding Oil to the Coffee
Well, I’m not adding cheap cooking oil to my coffee. I’m adding Brain Octane Oil or MCT Oil, a concentrated form of the beneficial essential fats from coconut oil -although, plain melted coconut oil can provide some benefits. Let me explain what these medium-chain triglycerides do. In short, they boost the energy I need from coffee without a crash.
The caffeine naturally occurring in coffee helps transport the medium-chain-triglycerides through the blood/brain barrier by bypassing the liver entirely; and thus, feeding my brain powerful nutrients it needs.
The Benefits I’ve Experienced Drinking Bulletproof Coffee
- A boost of energy that lasts for hours
- No post-caffeine drop crash
- Ability to focus on productive work for hours
- Curve in carb/sugar cravings (likely due to energy crashes)
- No more caffeine cravings/headaches
I remember my first cup of Bulletproof coffee. I was a skeptic and told my husband that surely a cup of coffee could not do all that! Well, it did. That morning I told my husband I needed a “strong cup of coffee” to help me wake up since I was working on finishing my manuscript that morning for my second cookbook.
Little did I know that drinking that first cup of Bulletproof coffee would change my mornings. I was able to focus for four hours straight and I felt like I had a lot of energy for the rest of the day. When 2 o’clock came around and I didn’t have the need for another cup of coffee or a nap, that’s when I told my husband that “I was hooked.”
In case you are wondering, I even travel with my coffee I love it so much.
I decided to write this post because I often receive a lot of questions about the type of coffee I drink. Or, what are some things that I do that help me be more productive. For me, being able to “get it all done” starts with getting a good night’s sleep and waking up to a better cup of coffee. The rest is being organized and managing my time well. As you can see, Bulletproof coffee is not just for men (even though most reviews are by men and for men). Bulletproof coffee is also great for women.
Classic Bulletproof Coffee
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Brew 1 cup (8 to 12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with the French press, coffee brewer, or pour-over methods.
- Pour brewed coffee inside a blender. To the blender, add 1 tablespoon of Brain Octane or MCT Oil and 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter.
- Blend for 20 to 30 seconds until the coffee becomes frothy like a foamy latte. Pour into your favorite mug, and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 7.5
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Protein: 0.5
This post is not sponsored by Bulletproof Coffee. All opinions in this post are my own. The post might include affiliate links at no additional cost to you.