Nov 1, 2017
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This butternut squash hash is the perfect blend of sweet and savory with sautéed butternut squash, greens, and smoky chorizo. The runny egg yolk on top takes this meal to a whole new level. You’ve gotta try it!
This recipe is “one for the books,” literally! It’s inside The Best Homemade Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet and came in handy the other day when I was looking for something to make with the two bags of frozen butternut squash I found in the back of the freezer.
Breakfast foods are one of my favorite things to make, even for dinner, and this paleo-inspired hash keeps it healthy without sacrificing flavor.
To make it even more epic, this butternut squash hash is completely Whole30 approved. So if you are trying to eat clean as a family, this is one recipe that should be on your weekly meal plan! You can find more clean, family-friendly recipes just like this one in my Family KickStart Program.
Nothing but real food ingredients are needed to make this healthy butternut squash and chorizo hash!
- Chorizo sausage: a smoky, well-seasoned sausage popular in Spanish and Mexican cooking.
- Onion: could be yellow, white, red, basically whatever you have on hand.
- Butternut squash: prep your own butternut squash cubes or grab them pre-cut in the produce section.
- Garlic powder: adds a more savory aroma and flavor.
- Cumin: compliments the chorizo and fresh lime juice.
- Kale: an excellent source of fiber and greens. If you aren’t a fan, opt for fresh spinach.
- Salt & pepper: the backbone of every recipe!
- Lime juice: to brighten all the depth of flavor in this dish.
- Eggs: to be fried sunny side and served on top of the hash!
Making Breakfast Hash with Butternut Squash and Chorizo
While hash recipes are traditionally considered a breakfast option, we usually serve it for dinner since my kids prefer slightly more traditional breakfast recipes, like pancakes and waffles, for breakfast.
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook the chorizo
Remove the chorizo from the casing and cook in a large skillet until browned. Transfer to a plate and reserve the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the veggies
Add the onions to the drippings and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown and softened. Add the butternut squash and seasonings, cook until softened before adding the kale and sausage.
- A squeeze of lime
Cook all the veggies until the squash is browned and fork-tender. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with lime juice, season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the eggs
In a clean, non-stick skillet, cook the eggs to your liking.
- Dish up
Serve the breakfast hash topped with 1-2 fried eggs.
You can also watch how this recipe is made in the video below:
How to Serve Butternut Squash Chorizo Hash
This recipe can be enjoyed by itself or as a part of a meal. Below are a few delicious ideas you can use to incorporate it as an entree or side dish with your favorite protein.
- In a tortilla: like these Butternut Squash & Kale Tacos.
- In a power bowl: brown rice, avocado, butternut squash hash, and a fried egg.
- As a side: you can swap the egg for grilled chicken or alongside my Melt in Your Mouth Chicken.
Butternut Squash and Chorizo Hash
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 16 ounces squash cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups kale stems removed, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 eggs
- Remove chorizo from casing and cook in a large skillet for about four minutes. Remove and set aside; keep the drippings in the pan.
- Add the onions, and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes until golden and soft. Add squash, garlic powder, and cumin to the skillet and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prior to serving, cook eggs on a greased medium pan, to your desired doneness, such as over-easy. Place egg over the hash and serve.
Amazing recipe!!! ❤️❤️ forgot to rate it as awesome. Thank you!
Amazing recipe!!! ❤️❤️ Made it for a family brunch this past weekend and it was a HIT!
This recipe is the bomb. Made it for lunch today.
I made this from your cookbook. So happy you finally shared it on your blog. It’s delicious! Made it with sweet potato and butternut squash. so so good!