Healthy Pupusas and Curtido Bowls
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1/3 cup Hellmann’s®, or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup PLUS 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 small head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small white onion, divided
- 4 roma tomatoes, (about 12 oz.)
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 4 finely chopped serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired
- 5 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked no salt added red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon Knorr Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 medium poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cups masa harina (fine corn meal)
- 1 box Spanish rice (yellow rice) cooked
- Guacamole for serving
- Finely chopped romaine lettuce, optional for bowls
For Curtido (slaw):
- Combine mayonnaise, 1/3 cup cider vinegar, salt, sugar and red pepper flakes in large bowl.
- Add cabbage and carrots.
- Finely slice 1/2 of the white onion and stir into cabbage and carrots; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Process remaining 1/2 of the white onion, roughly chopped, plum tomatoes, garlic, chilis, 1/2 cup water and remaining 1 teaspoon of vinegar in a blender until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully pour contents of blender into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
For refried beans:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in medium skillet and cook yellow onion, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender, reserve skillet.
- Add beans, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon Bouillon to blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a reserved skillet and fry bean mixture, stirring, until very thick and darkened slightly; reserve.
For cheese filling:
- Process cheese and poblano pepper in food processor until paste-like consistency; reserve.
- Combine masa flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon Bouillon and 3-1/2 cups water in large bowl to form a slightly sticky dough, adding more water, little at a time, if needed. Cover and let rest 10 minutes before forming pupusas.
- Divide dough into 20 egg-size balls, cover with a damp towel. Form each ball into a deep bowl shape, fill with 1 scant Tbsp. cheese mixture, pressing into the side of the dough, then top with 1/2 Tbsp. bean mixture. Bring edges together to seal. Gently pat and squeeze ball to form a flat disk, about 4-in.; repeat.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush with 1 to 2 tsp. oil. Cook pupusas in batches, until golden, with slightly darker spots, about 6 minutes, turning once.
To serve as a bowl:
- Create a bed of finely chopped romaine lettuce.
- Top with curtido, guacamole, serving of rice, salsa, and pupusas.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 341.7mg
- Fat: 14.8
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 53.9g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Cholesterol: 21.1mg