There is something very comforting about eating a peanut butter sandwich from time to time. And, as a healthy snack, I often eat apple slices topped with my favorite peanut butter. Out of sheer necessity for lunch and need to satisfy the comfort craving for a peanut butter sandwich and to eat something crunchy, this peanut butter crunch sandwich was created.
When I tell people that one of my favorite ways to add crunch and freshness to a sandwich is to add apple slices, I often see the skepticism on their face. It seems to me that if you like apple slices with peanut butter, you are going to love them inside a sandwich. Right?
On the plus side, the bread doesn’t get soggy, like when you add tomatoes, for example. Apples provide fiber to any meal, and since they are inside a sandwich, the kids will never complain that they browned.
This way, you (or your child) are eating half a piece of fruit without any of the waste. I added a little drizzle of honey to the sandwich since there is no “jelly” to spread over the peanut butter. The honey, of course, is completely optional.
For an added twist to this sandwich, try grilling it. It will blow your tastebuds away!
What’s your favorite thing to eat with peanut butter?
Peanut Butter Crunch Sandwich
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/4 honey-crisp or granny smith apple, thinly sliced
- Fresh berries and veggies for the lunchbox
- Place bread on a flat surface and spread peanut butter onto both slices of bread. Place apple slices onto one side, drizzle with honey, and close sandwich.
- Serve with freshly washed berries and veggies.