Pork Carnitas Lettuce Cups
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh corn tortillas
- Fresh bib lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, cilantro, salsa, guacamole or avocado slices and sour cream for serving
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder roast with a paper towel. Salt and pepper liberally.
- In a small dish, combine the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and olive oil and rub all over the shoulder roast. Place pork roast inside the slow cooker. Toss in onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Squeeze orange halves into the slow cooker and add them in. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from the slow cooker onto a large cutting board and allow meat to cool down slightly prior to pulling apart with two forks.
- Assemble tortillas and other toppings.
- At this time, you can serve pulled pork roast onto tortillas or heat up vegetable oil in a large pan and sauté carnitas in the oil until some of the edges are crusty. Serve over tortillas and garnish with favorite toppings.