Most of you know that I’ve been really busy this fall with the launch of MOMables™. I am now working full time while the kids are at school and at night when dad takes over around 8pm. Crazy? Yes, and I love it. Many of my friends have asked if I am excited to be having this surprise baby #3. Ummm, let me think… YES!!!!! HELLLOOO!!! While I might not be parading my joy around town, I love being pregnant (most of the time) and I absolutely LOVE having kids. Seriously, I’d have lots of them if I could. Sorry, back on topic.
With the arrival of baby #3 we will have to make some changes as a family. I’ve come a LONG way since my first child. I remember the days (pre-kids) where my bathrooms were cleaned with bleach (YIKES!) and I rarely gave toxins, additives, preservatives, chemicals and the stuff I can’t pronounce a second thought. Yes, I’ve come around in the last 7 years. If you are wondering what some of the changes we will be making around our house are are some of them and some tips on making the changes easier (they are in no particular order but the one my hormone filled brain can handle).
- Removing the carpets in the kid’s rooms. Our house is 6 years old and it’s time. We only have carpets in the bedrooms and I would like to get wood down like the other living areas. Why? because cleaning wooden floors is such a breeze with the non-toxic products that are out there and I don’t have to have a $500 vacuum to make sure all the dirt and dust that is trapped in the carpet get sucked up.
- We are adding bunks in one of the kid’s rooms; whose room is undecided but one of their beds (that was a crib at one point) will be put in my bedroom for now. That means, that I will bring down the bedding from the attic to wash and prepare.
- Bring down “boy 0-3 month” bag of clothes from the attic and wash it with a baby detergent. My all time favorite baby detergent has been Seventh Generation Free & Clear laundry detergent. I still use it for delicates, undergarments, and other people’s babies when they are around.
- I will be re-stocking the bathroom with organic baby care products although both of my kids are still using them. Our tubs already get cleaned with non-toxic green cleaners like the tub and tile cleaner from Seventh Generation.
- Although my kids have never tried to stick their fingers in the electrical sockets (knocking on wood now) they have been covered with the very annoying caps for six years now. They are not going anywhere now!
- We purchased another infant car seat and with two other kids in car seats it looks like I will be entering the world of minivans. Yikes!
- Beg for a diapers and wipes shower. While I’ve given away most of my baby gear and I now know that less is more. What I can’t get around is the need for diapers and wipes. I discovered Seventh Generation Free & Clear Diapers and I was happy to sport the brown/earthy colored diaper with both of my kids instead of the VERY annoying tv characters (a big pep peeve of mine). I found that they absorbed extremely well and my kids didn’t go around from droopy diapers from that horrible gel standard diapers are filed with.
- Stock up on target gift cards. They sell all my favorite seventh generation supplies and hopping over to pick some up when I am low is always a welcomed escape.
- Get the older kid’s toys organized. We have purchased a wall unit and storage boxes but I am always worried about “the little pieces” that linger as potential chocking hazards.
- Get some rest NOW. Well, I try anyway.
I know preparing for more kids can seem overwhelming but now that we have two kids and a system that works for us, I am much less worried. Knowing that my house is cleaned with non-toxic cleaners and that we are not breathing chemicals all the time is really important. Having made many changes over the past 6 years instead of something drastic overnight has helped. It also is great that I can find many of my supplies at local retailers and I don’t always have to depend on on-line shopping.
Tiffany's Toy Box
Well, there’s a lot to do to prepare for little one #3!! huh? Super exciting for you! That’s a big list but I like that you are getting it all down and getting organized! CONGRATS AGAIN!!
I am so happy for your family that Baby # 3 is coming soon. Now regarding the Van…it’s not so bad and they are Super Fun to drive everywhere. I zip around town all the time and everyone says when they see me driving around ” Watch out for the Mini Van Mom she is late for something!!!!!! ” I would recommend if you are looking for van Toyota Seianna…..and I am not only saying that cause I have one, but they are super great and roomy…….I am in Love with the newer verion. I have the 2005 and still runs great never gave me a problem ever.
Good Luck and Talk to you soon.
Moni ; )