Chicken Roast Recipe
Wondering how to bake a whole chicken? Read these step-by-step instructions on how to achieve the perfect roasted chicken with crispy, golden-brown skin.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasting
- 5 pound (2.25 kg) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2–3 springs of fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, top trimmed off
- 1–2 tablespoons (15-30ml) melted butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4–6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- Rinse the chicken with cold water inside and out and pat dry with a paper towel. Transfer the chicken to a plastic (washable) cutting board and remove any excess fat or skin from the chicken.
- Generously season the cavity (inside) of the chicken with salt and pepper. Stuff the chicken with rosemary quartered lemon and roughly cut garlic head.
- With a basting brush, brush the outside of the chicken with melted butter or olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Using some kitchen string, tie up the legs and tuck the wings under.
- Chop your vegetables over a clean surface. Drizzle the roasting pan with olive oil and spread them around the pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 15 minutes (a little more for larger chickens a little less for smaller), checking for doneness around the breast at 165F (75C) and 175F (80C) around the thigh.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes on a platter or cutting board covered with aluminum foil. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a serving platter and serve.
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 827.9mg
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 74.7g
- Cholesterol: 240.7mg
Keywords: baked chicken, whole chicken recipes,