Southern Mashed Potatoes
Creamy, delicious, and simply indulgent; these Southern Mashed Potatoes are just the thing to make for your family and guests during the holidays!
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 5 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3/4 cups butter
- 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cups half & half, warmed prior to using in recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh chives, finely chopped for serving
- Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into similar sized pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil, add potatoes, add salt, and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes for 25-30 minutes (will vary by size), until they are soft enough for a fork to slide through and easily break through the potato.
- Meanwhile, on a large pan over medium high heat, heat up oil. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, until it begins to soften and is fragrant. Add the onions, and cook until soft and translucent, for about 7 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes in a large colander. Once drained, transfer them back into the large pot. Over low heat, begin mashing the potatoes, add the sautéed onions and garlic and continue mashing allowing the steam to escape. Turn off heat and add butter, cream cheese, ½ cup of warmed half and half, and salt. Add additional half and half if necessary and mix through until the cream cheese has melted. Transfer hot potatoes to an oven proof serving dish and keep them in the oven if not using up immediately. Garnish with chives.
- When making this dish a day or two in advance, take it out of the fridge about 2 to 3 hours before serving time. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 211mg
- Fat: 23.1g
- Saturated Fat: 14.1g
- Carbohydrates: 42.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 63.7mg
Keywords: Mashed potatoes, homemade mashed potatoes