Mar 24, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Love lasagna but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen or go overboard on carbs? I have the perfect recipe for you. This Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is about to become your new favorite low-carb obsession.
With a quick and delicious homemade meat sauce stuffed into baked spaghetti squash with Ricotta cheese, it’s a satisfying meal that easy on the waistline and tastes indulgent.
I remember asking a friend for this recipe when she told me her three growing boys practically lick their plates clean every time she makes it, and once I gave it a try, I knew lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash would be a hit with my family. The recipe even found a place in my cookbook, The Best Grain-Free Family Meals on the Planet– it’s that good.
How to Make Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is a fantastic healthy side dish or substitute for pasta that’s low-carb, high in fiber, and delicious.
While there are several methods to cook spaghetti squash, I find that roasting it in the oven gives the squash a rich flavor and golden-brown color that steaming can’t do. Of course, if you’re short on time, you can always opt to cook it in the microwave.
To cook spaghetti squash in the oven:
Preheat your oven to 400F. Grease a baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
2. Prep the Squash
Use a fork to pierce the skin of the squash 6 to 7 times to ensure even cooking. Drizzle olive oil onto the flesh of each squash half and season with salt and black pepper.
Place each half flesh-side down into the baking dish and transfer to the preheated oven.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the flesh is tender and easily pulls apart into spaghetti-like strands with a fork.
This method is great if you want to serve the spaghetti squash with simple toppings. It has all the flavor on its own.
Tired of searching for healthy, low-carb recipes that are family-friendly like this one? Learn how many parents are eliminating processed foods and sugars from their family’s diet with the Family KickStart Program.
Lasagna Spaghetti Squash Ingredients
You won’t miss the noodles in this low carb lasagna, and while it’s not the same as the classic recipe, the spaghetti squash brings a delicious nutty flavor, and everyone loves having their personal “boat.” Here’s what you’ll need to make lasagna spaghetti squash for dinner tonight:
- Olive oil
- White or yellow onion
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Ground beef or turkey
- Ground pork sausage
- Italian seasoning
- Crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium-size spaghetti squash, baked
- Ricotta cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
Making Lasagna Spaghetti Squash Boats
Save yourself time by baking the spaghetti squash and preparing the meat sauce a night or two before. It makes this meal an option you can make on busy weeknights because the half the meal will already be prepped. All you have to do is assemble and bake.
Watch this quick video to see how it’s done, and then I’ll walk you through the process, step by step.
- Sauté & Brown
Cook the onions, garlic, and meat until done.
- Stir & Simmer
Add the crushed tomatoes, mix & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fill the Squash
Place the cooked spaghetti squash halves on a baking sheet and fill with your meat and tomato mixture. Mix with shredded squash to combine.
- Say Cheese!
Stir together ricotta and seasonings and top each squash half with cheese mixture and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until Golden Brown
Until golden brown, and the cheese is heated through. YUM! Give them a minute or 2 to rest before serving and try not to drool. 😉
Related: More Easy Meal Prep Recipes
Is Spaghetti Squash Low Carb?
Each cup of spaghetti squash yields only 5.5 net carbs, nearly 10% of the daily recommended values of vitamin C, B6, manganese, and 2.2 grams of fiber. All this at only 40 calories, no wonder it is one of the most popular low-carb swaps for regular pasta, right next to spiralized zucchini.
Is Spaghetti Squash Keto Friendly?
Spaghetti squash is also a keto-friendly option, and I’ve used it myself on many occasions while doing low-carb.
However, if you are trying to stay below 25 grams of net carbs a day, 5.5 can get you to your daily total quickly. In this case, I’d use spaghetti squash sparingly and opt for green leafy vegetables for the bulk of your carbs.
What Else to Serve with Spaghetti Squash
There are so many ways to enjoy spaghetti squash for a satisfying, low-carb dinner. If you want to turn this cooked squash into a family-favorite dinner, you can try it out with any of these sauces below or go for the Garlic Butter Chicken Recipe. It’s the BOMB!
- Garlic Butter and Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Broccoli Pesto Sauce
- Crockpot Tomato Sauce
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- 1 large spaghetti squash halved
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 white or yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning divided
- 15- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
For the Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Grease a baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Rest the spaghetti squash horizontally on a large cutting board. Hold the squash firmly in place and slice a thin sliver on one edge, lay it flat.
- Next, use a large knife to slice the squash in half lengthwise, making sure to cut away from your hands.
- Once the squash is halved, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Use a fork to pierce the squash’s skin 6 to 7 times to ensure even cooking.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil onto the flesh of each squash half and season with ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Place each half flesh-side down into the baking dish and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the flesh is tender and easily pulls apart into spaghetti-like strands with a fork.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats:
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a large baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the ground beef and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and remaining salt. Cook for 8 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula as you go.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- With a fork, shred the meat inside of each cooked squash half. Place the spaghetti squash halves into the baking dish. Scoop a generous amount of the meat sauce into each squash half and mix with the shredded squash to combine.
- In a small dish, stir together the ricotta, remaining teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and parsley. Top each squash half with about ½ cup of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese over each spaghetti squash half.
- Bake, the spaghetti squash for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops, are golden brown, and the ricotta is heated through.
- Remove the spaghetti squash halves from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting each squash in half to create 4 halves.
Leave a Reply