Feb 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Craving a bowl of cozy goodness? Make this delicious vegetable soup with black beans for a tasty meal!
This veggie soup is nutritious and filling, and the best part is that it can be prepped in just 10 minutes, and the stovetop does the rest! It’s simple, tasty, and good for you!
Best Veggie Soup with Zucchini & Black Beans
The first spoonful of this soup is more than just comforting; it’s hearty and packed with flavors and pleasant textures. And you can get all that -plus tons of nutrition- by chopping and stirring a few simple ingredients in a pot!
This vegetable soup with black beans is a quick and easy way to raise your veggie intake while enjoying a delicious meal made with real ingredients.
Tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, avocado, and beans are a powerful combo of nutrition with the additional flavor that aromatics bring. Healthy never tasted this good!
Simple veggies and black beans turn into this terrific soup you’ll want to add to your regular rotation.
Here’s what you need to make this delicious vegetable soup.
- Olive oil: to sauté the veggies in the pot.
- Onion: always flavorful as a base. Chop up a fresh one or use pre-chopped or frozen to save time.
- Garlic cloves: for adding flavor.
- Tomato paste: adds depth of flavor and thickens the base.
- Ground cumin: for flavor.
- Chili powder: for flavor.
- Smoked paprika: regular or Spanish paprika can be used too.
- Salt: for seasoning.
- Vegetable broth or stock: regular or low sodium, whichever you prefer.
- Fresh cilantro: chop it up for more flavor.
- Carrots: use a food processor to chop the carrots quickly and finely.
- Diced tomatoes: drain the excess liquid.
- Black beans: rinse and drain from the can before adding.
- Zucchini: cut them into ½-inch cubes.
- Avocado: sliced to add on top.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese: any type of shredded cheese will work.
- Whole wheat dinner rolls: optional for serving and delicious.
As always, check the recipe card for the ingredient amounts and detailed cooking directions.
How to Make Vegetable Soup with Black Beans
If you can chop a little, add some ingredients to a pot, and stir, you can make this recipe! Follow the step-by-step instructions to make a simple veggie soup with zucchini and black beans.
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook while stirring until they’re soft and translucent.
Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Add the broth, half the cilantro, carrots, and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the black beans and zucchini, cover, and continue to simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with sliced avocado and cheese to serve.
Watch this video to see the veggie soup come together, fast.
What Other Veggies Can You Add?
Soups are the kind of meal you can prep with what you have on hand. In case you don’t have some of these ingredients or want to kick up the veggie factor, here are some great ideas to add to this vegetable black bean soup:
- Corn kernels
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut Squash
- Bell peppers
- Cilantro, for garnish and vitamin C
What to Serve with Vegetable Soup
You can call this vegetable soup with black beans a meal, but there’s always room to serve something delicious on the side! Need some ideas? These are some of my favorite ones:
- Everyday Side Salad
- Muffin Tin Popovers
- Spicy Roasted Cauliflower
- Balsamic Roasted Beets
- Spinach Balls with Parmesan
Vegetable Soup with Black Beans and Zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped, divided
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 15- ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 15- ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 large zucchini cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 avocado sliced, for topping
- Shredded Cheddar cheese optional topping
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook while stirring from time to time, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Add the broth, half the cilantro, carrots, and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and zucchini, cover, and continue to simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sliced avocado and cheese. Serve along with corn tortilla chips, either whole on the side or crumbled on top.
Leave a Reply