In the summertime, when zucchinis are plentiful, I try to find creative ways to feed my family zucchini. I’ve found everybody loves a good waffle, and these savory waffles are the perfect way to veggie-up everyone’s favorite meal. Zucchini waffles are cheesy and delicious, and your family will hardly notice that they are filled with veggies!
How to Cook with Zucchini
As you know, I love to spiralize zucchini and use it the same way I’d use pasta in any dish. I also often spiralize for the week, but I don’t always get to eat all the spiralized zucchini. In that case, I use spiralized for this recipe; just make sure you cut the long strands first.
I don’t know about you, but I hardly ever find much resistance from my kids to try a new waffle recipe. While not all my kids love these savory waffles, especially the one with texture issues, we all love them. Especially me, since they are so easy to make!
Everything just seems to taste better when it’s in waffle form. Veggies, sandwiches, and yup, as you saw above even greek yogurt. The possibilities are truly endless and I love making a good savory waffle every chance I get.
How to Make Savory Waffles
Watch the video below to see how I made these Zucchini Parmesan Waffles, and then check out the step by step instructions below. You can even print the recipe at the end of this post so you can easily save it for later use.
- Start by shredding the zucchini and placing the zucchini strips into a colander with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes and rinse. Use a towl to press out the moisture.
- Preheat your waffle maker to medium heat.
- Whisk together milk, egg and half of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and Italian seasoning.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures in a large bowl and stir in the zucchini strips once thoroughly combined.
- Spray your waffle maker with oil.
- Place batter on the waffle maker in rounded tablespoons leaving spae for the savory waffles to spread.
- Close lid and cook 3-5 minutes until browned.
- Serve warm and sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
How to make Savory Gluten-Free Waffles
I have successfully made this recipe gluten-free by using King Arthur’s All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour. I have not, however, found a substitute for the Parmesan cheese (yet!).
Cheesy Savory Waffles
Although I have a dairy-free kid, he can tolerate sheep and goat milk derived products, so I use a sheep’s milk Romano cheese. The cheese is essential in this recipe since it acts as a binding agent in the recipe and helps hold the waffles together.
I store leftovers in the fridge or freeze them for another day. To reheat, I simply toast them in my toaster oven.Print
Zucchini & Parmesan Savory Waffle Recipe
Need a way to use up zucchinis? This zucchini savory waffle recipe is easy to make and super delicious! Leftovers can be frozen or saved for later.
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (roughly 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Oil or non-stick spray for waffle maker
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with about ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Let the salted zucchini sit for about 30 minutes, rinse with cold water, and press out as much of the moisture as possible.
- Alternatively, ring out zucchini inside a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Preheat your waffle maker to a medium setting (if available).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and ¼ cup of the grated Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with Italian seasoning.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture with the flour mixture.
- Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, add in the grated zucchini until everything is well combined. Spray or coat your waffle iron with oil.
- Place rounded tablespoons of the batter on the waffle iron, leaving room for the fritters to spread slightly.
- Close the lid and cook until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.Serve warm and sprinkle waffles with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 226.5mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 102.7mg
Keywords: savory waffles, how to make savory waffles, zucchini recipes, zucchini waffles, parmesan zucchini