For nearly a decade, I woke up with aches and pains when rolling out of bed. At 25 years old I often felt like I had aged 30 years in my sleep. I blamed my body aches to my back issues, but the reality was that the culprit was my bed.
We’ve Slept in Many Beds
The first bed we owned as newlyweds was a hand-me-down premium double pillow top from which I woke nearly in tears many mornings. I thought my back was getting worse, but it was actually the bed itself! (my back remained stable those years).
So I did my research. I had read a lot of things about the Tempurpedic and how it’s “memory” would absorb my body to feel no pressure points. All the selling points seemed great until I went to lay on it. It felt like a brick, and it had a funny smell. It turns out that the Tempurpedic materials are toxic (they are currently in a class action lawsuit in California) and they off-gas over time. But it’s not just them, all beds sold in the US must be sprayed with chemical fire retardants! So I didn’t buy that mattress.
It’s True. A Mattress Can Cause Sleep and Back Problems
The Search for Non-Toxic Chemical Free Sleep
In the early parts of the 20th century, mattresses were made with cotton batting for cushioning and steel springs for support. This combination provided both natural, non-toxic cushioning and strong support. That was great until polyurethane was invented in the late 30s and by the 1950s’ they were incorporated into the inner parts of mattresses for cushioning. In fact, according to the EPA, exposure to such petro-based foams has been linked to respiratory and other health problems.
Over the next 30 years, nearly all cotton has been replaced by synthetic foam inside mattresses. What most consumers don’t know, is that in 2007, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission required all mattresses to meet strict fire resistant standards. Unfortunately, they also don’t regulate the type of chemicals used both inside and outside the mattresses.
Here are just a few of the chemicals used in mattress flame retardants:
- PCDE’s (polybrominated diphenyl ethers)
PCDE’s were used in mattresses before 2004. However, since it was determined that these chemicals were toxic to your liver, thyroid, and nervous system mattress, companies have phased use out.
- Boric Acid (known carcinogen properties)
- Melamine resin (contains formaldehyde)
As you can imagine, I did not want to sleep (myself or my kids) on any of those chemicals. Airing out the mattress when you first purchase it does not solve the off-gassing problem. Over time, toxic chemicals inside the mattress begin to break down and they off-gas in microscopic particles.
The First Non-Toxic Bed Purchase: A Total Fail
More research led me to a Natural Latex Bed. This bed claimed no off-gassing, and it was wrapped in organic wool (also claimed to be a natural fire-retardant). At a hefty $3,000 price tag, we bought the bed. The first year we slept ok (not great) and not soon after the year mark, our bed began to “dip” where we slept. I began to wake up with aches and a stiff back again, and this time I knew it was the bed.
I notified the company and tried to file a warranty claim, but the whole process was awful. After more than 40 different photographs, dozens of emails, they refused to honor the warranty, and I was left with an expensive bed I hated. I slept on this bed for another two years; mostly, because the expense alone was a sore subject between my husband and I and we did not have another $3,000 to buy another bed so soon. I kept a bottle of Ibuprofen on my nightstand and took 600mg most mornings.
Like the little infographic above, the mattress was just not supportive. After three years, I had had enough, so on a whim I purchased a traditional Serta Mattress on a Black Friday sale (my husband couldn’t take the bed anymore either). I said “screw it!” to the no-off-gassing bed search and settled for anything that would help me sleep.
The Traditional Bed Purchase: Another Mistake
After a few short weeks, I knew I had made the wrong choice by purchasing the $500 bed. It was an improvement from the latex one, but I could feel the coils in my sleep, I woke up achy from time to time, and my husband seemed to sleep better and stopped complaining about the bed. Unfortunately, I continued to struggle to get a good night’s sleep.
Thankfully, this bed offered a 1-year warranty and would take the bed back, no questions asked. In my mind, I had a year to find another bed but my body knew that was too long to get better sleep.
New Search Criteria
The age-old saying “you live and learn” could not apply better here. The good news is that now I knew what I was looking for in a bed and I was willing to search for something that met those parameters. I wanted a bed that offered: back support, reduced my tossing and turning at night, was non-toxic (did not off-gas), and was durable (I could not afford another $3K mistake).
In my search, I found intelliBED. They focus on:
- Superior Back Support. Unlike traditional mattresses and foam mattresses that can sag 25% in the first 2 years, intelliBED is made with intelli-Gel. intelli-Gel is the most advanced cushioning material designed to provide pressure relief and back support; something that no other bed in the market provides combined.
- Reduced Tossing and Turning. intelli-Gel is a pressure relieving material, used in advanced hospitals across the country to cushion the human body. When the pressure is transferred across the intelli-Gel, tossing and turning to relieve pressure points is greatly reduced.
- A Safer Night’s Sleep. intelli-BED’s inteli-Gel is a safe, non-toxic material that does not off-gas -ever. intelli-Gel is made with completely non-toxic materials that are also, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and non-off-gassing. The raw materials are so safe that they are used in multiple children’s toys and were thoroughly tested and found acceptable to be used in baby-bottle nipples.
- Durability. intelliBED not only provides the best comfort combined with the best support, but they last longer than any other mattress on the market. When you read the warranty fine print on most mattresses you will see they typically only offer a 10-year warranty vs the 30-year from intelliBED. The reason? Intelli-Gel does not break down like foam does. This means you will get consistent comfort and support for 20-30 years as opposed to 3-5 years with any other mattress on the market.
What Sleeping in My intelliBED is Really Like
I go into detail of what it’s like to sleep in my intelliBED in this post. I ordered a Posture Perfect King size bed, with the box springs, and the mattress protector. It was delivered and assembled meticulously in my home and all packaging was hauled off. The delivery men were pleasant and polite.
The first night was a little rough since I was already in pain. Thankfully, I read in the paperwork that it may take a couple of days for my body to adjust to my new bed. I’m glad I gave it a couple of days (a week) because, after a week, sleeping in my intelliBED has completely eliminated waking up with body aches. My only regret is not finding intelliBED sooner.
How to Try intelliBED
Get any of IntelliBED’s non-toxic, patented bed technology products including pillows. In addition to the 10% off, this coupon includes a two nontoxic pillow and a set of Dream Fit Sheets when you purchase a Queen or King intelliBED mattress.
Disclosure: I was not monetarily compensated to write this post. The statements above are 100% my opinion. This post may contain affiliate links at no additional cost to you, the buyer. From time to time, I team up with awesome companies, like intelliBED, to offer my readers discounts and offers of services I like and support.