This is the perfect 30-minute salmon recipe for busy weeknights, and with the tips below, you’ll learn how not to overcook your salmon and get that flaky texture every time!
Quick Spicy Cajun Salmon
When everyone is hungry, and you need a 30-minute meal from start to finish, this spicy cajun salmon is the perfect quick recipe for the task! It pairs perfectly with your favorite side dish or one of the recommendations below!
Did I say quick? It’s ridiculously simple too! And Oh.So.Tasty. The Cajun seasoning adds tons of flavor, with a nice spicy/smokey kick, that makes this salmon one you’ll want to enjoy often.
Three ingredients, half an hour (or less!), and dinner is ready! I bake salmon in the oven in this recipe, but you can also cook this delicious cajun salmon quickly in the pan too!
Three basic ingredients are enough to bake a spicy, flavorful cajun salmon you’ll want to enjoy every week!
Here’s what you need:
- Olive oil: to mix with the seasoning, coat the salmon, and give it a crisp outer texture.
- Cajun seasoning: it’s what makes this salmon super tasty! Use your favorite mix or grab my recipe from below.
- Salmon fillets: you can use fresh or frozen. If frozen, thaw them before cooking.
You’ll find the measurements for this recipe in the printable card below.
How to Bake Cajun Salmon in the Oven
Making this epic Baked Cajun Salmon recipe for dinner is as easy as seasoning the fillets, opening the oven, and letting it work!
Check the step-by-step:
1. Prep the oven
Position your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the seasoning
In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and the Cajun seasoning into a paste.
3. Prep the salmon
Pat dry salmon fillets with a paper towel and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the Cajun seasoning over the salmon fillets.
4. Bake to perfection
Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon, until the salmon flakes and separates easily with a fork. Remove salmon from oven.
5. Serve & enjoy!
Serve the cajun salmon with baked potatoes and broccoli or your favorite side.
How long to Bake Salmon Perfectly
The best temperature to bake salmon alone is 400F, and it takes between 16 and 18 minutes to be perfectly done. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets and the oven temperature.
You can also bake salmon in foil to save clean-up time! It’s simple, quick, and tastes as good!
How to Know When It’s Done
You’ll want to check doneness at the beginning of the cooking time noted in the recipe by taking a fork and poking the salmon in the thickest part (usually in the middle). If it separates easily into flake-like pieces and the salmon is even colored, it’s done.
You can also know if it’s perfectly cooked by inserting a meat/protein thermometer in the thickest part of the fillets. Baked cajun salmon is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 145F.
Making Your Own Cajun Spice Mix for Salmon
By mixing herbs and spices in a breeze, you can make your own Cajun Spice Mix to sprinkle on salmon, beef, veggies and so much more! You can switch it up a bit and use this Creole Seasoning recipe that takes 5 minutes and results in a tastier and fresher mix than the ones at the grocery store.
How to Serve Baked Cajun Salmon
This baked salmon is the perfect protein to pair with all kinds of side dishes, like these epic Spicy Green Beans or this Roasted Curried Cauliflower. Cook 2 extra pieces and turn it into a completely different meal like in this Cajun Salmon Pasta. Of course, you can always pair it with a simple side salad and call it a day!
Baked Cajun Salmon | 3-Ingredients!
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 4-ounce salmon fillets
- Position your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and the Cajun seasoning into a paste.
- Pat dry salmon fillets with a paper towel and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the Cajun seasoning over the salmon fillets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon, until the salmon flakes and separates easily with a fork. Remove salmon from oven.
- Serve the salmon with baked potatoes and broccoli or with your favorite side.