In a house where the kitchen rarely closes, finding recipes that will satisfy the appetite of six hungry people is a necessity; and this Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe is one meal everyone loves and leftovers are terrific freezer meals or thermos lunches!
There are many reasons I love incorporating soup into my weekly meal plan. First, soup can be a whole meal in a bowl, so it makes it super easy when feeding a large family. Soup is versatile; you can change it up or keep it traditional, add meat, or make it vegetarian, and you can adjust any soup to fit dietary needs or allergy restrictions.
As you know, I cook nearly everything gluten-free to accommodate my middle son’s and my dietary restrictions. Luckily, I’ve been able to find one brand of gluten-free tortellini that tastes good, and in this soup, I find that the texture is much better than stand alone.
Of course, there is the fact that soups practically cook themselves, after you finish all the preliminary prep. During this time, I tend to prep food for the next day, hang out with my big kids, play trains or cars with my G, help Sofia with her crafts or Alex with his roller blades. It is a family meal all in one, but I also get to be with my family while I cook.
As you can see from the video below, this soup comes together quickly and with little effort.
Leftovers, if you have them, can be frozen in single portions or heated up and placed in a thermos for lunch the next day.
What are your favorite soup recipes?Print
Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe
This hearty tortellini soup recipe is easy to make and it satisfies even the pickiest of eaters!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- ½ pound Italian sausage, casings removed, optional
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9 oz. cheese-filled tortellini
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add chopped red pepper, sauté till tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Drain any additional grease from sausage.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil pesto, broth, half and half, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tortellini and parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer until cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked.
- Season to preference with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 1366.2 mg
- Fat: 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 15.8 g
- Cholesterol: 66.3 mg
Keywords: tortellini, soup, tortellini soup