This crockpot lasagna soup has all the delicious flavors of classic lasagna with hearty ground beef, a rich tomato broth, and tender cooked pasta but none of the time-consuming layering and baking!
It’s a soul-warming meal that’s easy to put on the table because the slow cooker does all the work!
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
This simple meal comes together with pantry staples and a pound of ground beef. The finished product has all the phenomenal flavors of classic lasagna and my famous Lasagna Skillet.
You can make this lasagna soup grain-free by swapping the pasta for 1-2 cups diced zucchini. It doesn’t change the flavor, but it does reduce the carbs and tastes just as delicious.
Little swaps like this are a great way to help your family eat more veggies and fresher meals. And if eating healthier meals made with real food as a family is something you struggle with, check out my Family Kickstart program.
It’s a clean eating-based meal plan that includes family-approved recipes, a done-for-you weekly shopping list, and a detailed meal prep for the week to help you stay on track.
Lasagna Soup Ingredients
Here’s everything you need to make this robust lasagna soup:
- lean ground beef: makes this soup hearty and full of protein. You can swap it for lean ground turkey with equally delicious results.
- diced tomatoes: cook down into the delicious, savory broth.
- tomato paste: gives the broth a strong flavor close to regular tomato sauce.
- beef broth: the liquid component to the broth. Swap for stock for an even stronger flavor.
- water: to stretch out the broth.
- aromatics: garlic and onion add savory flavor and make this soup smell amazing!
- Italian seasoning: infuses the broth with Italian flavors.
- uncooked shell pasta: any tubed or shelled pasta such as rotini, ziti, shells, and macaroni work best. You can even use broken-up lasagna noodles or gluten-free pasta.
- salt & pepper: enhance the other flavors.
- shredded mozzarella: for topping over the finished bowls of lasagna soup!
How to Make Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Grab your slow cooker, those ingredients, and let’s make a delicious pot of soup!
- Brown the meat
In a large skillet, brown the beef and transfer it to the dish of a slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, spices and liquids
Toss in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, 1 cup water, garlic, Italian seasoning, onions, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook
Cover the slow cooker with the lid and set to cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add the pasta
In the final 30 minutes, add the second cup of water and the pasta. Stir to combine and cover with the lid. Cook for the remaining 30 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Soup’s on!
Ladle a generous portion of soup into a bowl, top with shredded cheese, and enjoy!
Watch this video and see how easily this recipe comes together!
Lasagna Soup Toppings
This soup is brimming with tomato and Italian flavors, so I like to top it with grated Parmesan, shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese, and chopped parsley.
If you’re a fan of the ricotta filling in classic lasagna, feel free to add a dollop over the top! It melts into the soup and makes it ultra-creamy.
What to Serve with Crockpot Lasagna Soup
This is the type of recipe you want to serve with garlic bread or my Cheese Twists so you can dunk them into the soup and soak up all that flavor. If you’re looking for something fresh, a crisp romaine salad with tomatoes and my homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette will certainly hit the spot.
Meal Prep Crockpot Lasagna Soup
To meal prep this slow cooker soup ahead, brown the beef and transfer it to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the pasta, cover with the lid and refrigerate overnight. The next day cook the soup according to the recipe directions, adding the pasta in the final 30 minutes.
If you want to prepare this soup and freeze it for future meals, check out my post on how to freeze soup, so it reheats perfectly. Essentially, you would not add the pasta to this recipe until it’s being reheated on the stove-top.Print