My new favorite way of eating more vegetables comes via this delicious recipe for Thai Chicken Lettuce Cups. One bite, and you’ll be hooked.
One of my favorite salads to eat is a Thai chicken salad from a local restaurant. When served, you get a huge bowl of chopped veggies, tossed together, with grilled chicken on top.
The colorful veggies come to life with a deliciously tangy but sweet peanut dressing. I’ve recreated this salad often at home, with this recipe, but since I adore all things handheld, serving this delicious mixed salad in lettuce cups seemed like the next logical move.
A lot of people think that when a recipe looks colorful, it must be a lot of work, or that it has a lot of ingredients. This salad may have quite a few, but I guarantee that the chopping is worth it! Check out how easy it is to make in this quick video below.
For a nut-free version, swap out the peanut butter in the recipe for a nut-free substitute, like sunflower butter, and omit the nuts. The flavor will be just as delicious, and it’s free or nuts.
This recipe is definitely for those of us who love crunchy food because every bite provides that ultimate crunch we love.
I might have an obsession with lettuce cup recipes; and if you do too, check out my other lettuce cup recipes here.
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Lettuce Cups with Peanut Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (sriracha)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/4 cup green onions, white part only, reserve green for serving
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can use thighs too)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (sriracha)
- 1-2 tablespoons hot water
- 1-2 Boston Bibb lettuce heads, leaves removed and washed
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded (matchstick) carrots
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- Green onions
- Lime wedges
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, whisk to combine lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, fish sauce, chili paste, garlic, ginger, and onions. Add in chicken, cut into a few smaller pieces to make it fit in the slow cooker bowl, and stir to coat with sauce. Cook, on high for 4 hours or 8 on low.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare peanut sauce by combining peanut butter, maple syrup or honey, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and chili paste into a bowl. Add one tablespoon of water and whisk to combine. For a little thinner sauce, add water to the consistency you’d like.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove chicken from slow cooker and cut into small chunks.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, shredded cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, peanuts, green onions, and cilantro.
- Scoop chicken and veggie mixture inside lettuce leaves and drizzle with peanut sauce.