Having muffin lovers in my house keeps me on my toes when it comes to baking a variety of muffins, and these strawberry yogurt muffins are the type my family asks me to repeat. That’s how I know I have a winning recipe that I can share with you!
This recipe came about because one week I wanted to recreate a yogurt quick bread that my aunt in Spain makes and the batter didn’t turn out how I remembered. I called her, and she suggested that I bake the batter into muffins instead.
It’s funny how sometimes great recipes come out of a “measuring error” usually because I am baking while tending to the kids’ needs. I’ve baked these muffins a dozen times and every time they are a favorite.
The base for the recipe is yogurt, flour, and oats, two things I have in my fridge and pantry. I’ve tested this with all-purpose gluten-free flours, and while different flours yield a different texture, this one is by far my favorite.
What I love is that I can use fresh fruit, like strawberries that are a little too ripe in my fridge, or frozen fruit that I always have in my freezer for smoothies. Either way, you’ll want to make sure the fruit is chopped into even sized pieces for even cooking.
Making these muffins is super easy, and cleanup is a breeze since everything comes together in a single bowl. Watch how easy they are to make in this quick video.
The result is fluffy and moist muffins that my family loves. We love to have these in the morning with additional fruit or in the afternoon as a snack. My exchange student said that it reminds her of Spanish breakfast muffins, so now she takes one or two for the bus ride to school.
Are there muffin recipes you’d been wanting to try but want a recipe for? let me know!
Strawberry Yogurt Oat Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Total Time: 37 mins
- Yield: 9 muffins 1x
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour*
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a muffin pan with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk yogurt, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and stir until just combined being careful not to over-mix.
- Gently fold in diced strawberries to the batter. Fill muffin tins to 3/4 full and bake, 22 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool down.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 16.7 g
- Fat: 9.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 10.6 g