This recipe for Coffee Cake Muffins was inspired by a recent trip I took with my daughter. Let me show you how delicious these cinnamon muffins really are!
They’re moist on the inside and have a crumble cinnamon topping that is to-die-for.
Amazing right? After our trip, I just knew I had to make these at home.
My daughter and I were visiting LA when we found this adorable coffee shop in Long Beach. We stopped by for a yummy breakfast, and my morning coffee fix.
The muffins on display were gigantic blueberry muffins and these scrumptious crumble muffins with cinnamon swirl.
Those inspired me to make this recipe so that we could enjoy these epic muffins again, without a trip across the country.
Easy Coffee Cake Muffins
By the look on her face, the crumbly topping was calling out her name. Ok, and mine.
A few coffees, a hot chocolate, and a few (more) more muffins later, we decided we were going to replicate the recipe at home.
Being in the kitchen with my daughter reminds me of the many times I would bake with my grandmother.
Recipes like Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins are long-time family favorites and perfect for baking together.
I remember wanting to lick the bowl after we were done transferring the batter or sneak a spatula lick on the way to the kitchen sink.
The batter for the recipe comes together rather easily in a large mixing bowl. However, you’ll need a medium and small bowl to combine the crumble topping and the optional cinnamon swirl.
How to Make Coffee Cake Muffins
These Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins are super easy to make. You can keep it simple by using the base recipe, or add-in that epic cinnamon swirl! Watch how they are to make in this easy recipe video.
What I love about making our own baked goods is that I can see the ingredients that go into the recipe. The ingredients are basic staples, I have them in my pantry, and it’s a great way for the kids to practice their cooking skills and enjoy time with me in the kitchen.
The Cinnamon Swirl
This muffins are delicious all on their own, but this swirl makes them the best ever!
- Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of muffin batter into each muffin cup.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top, giving it a quick swirl with your spoon.
- Top with more muffin batter.
- Then you’ll pile on the crumb topping and bake.
How to Make the Crumb Topping
The sweet, cinnamon muffins are stacked high with glorious crumb topping. Trust me, you don’t want to skip this part!
To bring this crumbly goodness together grab the flour, sugars and cinnamon and mix together in a medium bowl.
Stir in melted butter with a fork until it the mixture starts to look like wet sand.
I know, sand isn’t the yummiest comparison, but when you taste this buttery, cinnamon crumble, you’ll know it was more than worth it.
After trying it on these coffee cake muffins, be sure to try my pear muffins with crumbly cinnamon topping next.
While the muffins are baking, I usually begin to brew a cup of coffee for me and take the time to talk to my kids.
For me, the kitchen is the perfect place to make these moments special, to start conversations with them about life, things, and the little thoughts that run through their minds.
These muffins were made with a lot of patience and much love by my daughter with each turn of the spoon in the mixing bowl and I’m excited to share the recipe with you.
I’m happy knowing your house will fill with a deliciously sweet cinnamon smell as the muffins bake in the oven.
This recipe is the keepsake of our amazing time together and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it for you.
If you can’t get enough of that cinnamon-y goodness this time of year, try my incredible cinnamon roll pancakes for your next breakfast treat!
Do you have a favorite recipe to bake because the aroma fills the house and brings memories?Print
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
This delicious coffee cake muffin recipe is made with a tasty swirl of cinnamon all the way through. It’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 – 17 minutes
- Total Time: 25 – 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream (if using milk, use 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, or large measuring cup, whisk milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Pour wet mixture into the dry bowl and mix (with a hand blender or by hand) until you have a thick but smooth batter.
- For the crumb topping, stir together the flour, sugars, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly and resembles wet sand.
- For the cinnamon swirl, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Begin to assemble the batter inside the lined muffin tin by scooping 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cavity. Place a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixture on top, give it a quick swirl, and top with more muffin batter, filling the tin ¾ to the top.
- Sprinkle about a heaping tablespoon of crumb topping on top of each muffin top, covering the tops.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes until the crumbly tops are golden and when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool down to room temperature in the pan prior to transferring them to a wire rack to glaze.
- Once cooled, drizzle a little glaze over cooled muffins.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 245.5mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 52.3mg
Keywords: coffee cake muffins, cinnamon swirl muffins, coffee cake muffin recipe, easy coffee cake muffins