Are you looking for a convenient protein-rich portable breakfast? These breakfast burritos are awesome for grab-n-go nutrition. You can make a batch ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for the week or, freeze them for times when you need real food that’s already made.
Many of you know that breakfast foods are some of my favorite things to share in this site. Perhaps it’s because as a mom of 3 kids who all like different foods, breakfast “anything” always seem to go over well at our house. We even have a designated “breakfast night” each week.
Little do my kids know that I use their favorite themed meal of the week to prep-ahead for other days where I’m short on time. If I make pancakes for dinner, I am going to double the recipe and freeze the rest for breakfast. Same thing with waffles, french toast…you get the picture. The freezer is my friend!
Seriously, if I didn’t operate in a “cook once eat twice” mode my family wold not eat as much real food in all of our meals. Working full time means I am not home to prep meals in the morning or in the afternoons after I pick up the kids. Everything has to happen the night before or recipes must be left pre-chopped and prepped so all I have to do is a quick assembly and minimal cooking.
So why do I like these make-ahead breakfast burritos so much? For starters, they are a budget friendly meal my husband loves. Since I pack 2 meals and 2 snacks for him daily, I am constantly trying to make budget friendly real food happen. I often make these on Saturday or Sundays with whatever deli meats are left in the fridge. Cooking them extends their shelf life and I don’t have to throw out food.
Of course, you can fill your burritos with anything you want. Check out how easy they are to make in this video and get ready to have a delicious breakfast on hand at all times.
This recipe was originally published in my cookbook, The Best Homemade Kids’ Lunches on the Planet.
Basic Make-ahead Breakfast Burritos
The recipe below is basic. Feel free to add other add-ins like bell peppers, bacon, ham, spinach, olives, sausage… or anything you love to eat inside an omelette.
- Yield: 6 breakfast burritos 1x
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium tomato, diced small
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 6 8-inch tortillas
- 6 parchment paper squares, about 10 inches
- Additional toppings and salsa (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs.
- In a medium skillet (about 10 inches) over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and pour in whisked eggs. Once they start cooking, add in your diced tomato and any other add-ins you like in your burritos. Continue to stir the egg and topping mixture until fully cooked and remove pan from heat.
- On a flat surface, place a tortilla on top of a parchment paper square. Top the tortilla with 1/6 of the egg mixture, top with shredded cheese and any other toppings or salsa.
- Fold tortilla over the fillings, fold in the sides, and roll into a burrito. Once your breakfast burrito is closed, wrap with the parchment paper square.
- Repeat the process with remaining tortillas and eggs. Once cooled, transfer assembled burritos into a gallon sized freezer bag and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to one month.
- To eat, simply warm directly in the microwave until heated through.