It’s time to upgrade your holiday feast with this orange cranberry sauce. The cranberries are simmered down with orange juice and, giving the sauce a rich flavor that enhances the roasted turkey and stuffing.
Once you make this homemade cranberry sauce, you won’t go back to the canned stuff- ever.
I’ve been making this recipe for years, and to this day, it’s one of the most popular items on my Thanksgiving menu. It has the delicious tart-sweet flavor of cranberry and orange that will have people eating it by the spoonful.
The ingredient list is short and sweet. Here’s everything you need to make this cranberry sauce:
- whole fresh cranberries: use fresh or frozen whole cranberries, not canned.
- orange juice: not from concentrate, opt for fresh juice or from the carton.
- orange zest: optional, but adds more citrus flavor.
- sugar: white or brown will work!
How to Make Cranberry Sauce with Orange Juice
Homemade cranberry sauce is one of the most impressive dishes that take the least amount of time and effort to make. All you need are the ingredients, a medium saucepan, and a blender (which is optional).
Alright, let’s get the party started and make this delicious cranberry and orange sauce!
Rinse cranberries with lukewarm water
Add the cranberries, juice, orange zest, and sugar into a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium-high heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool before serving or blending.
Now, I know some prefer their cranberry sauce with the berries left whole. If that’s you, once the sauce is cooled, you can serve it. However, if a smooth sauce is desired, transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth.
Watch this quick video to see it all come together.
Looking for more incredible Thanksgiving recipes to add to your menu? Check out my Giving Thanks eBook, it’s a holiday menu complete with 23 mouthwatering recipes to choose from and a daily prep guide, starting several days before, to make the day of an absolute breeze.
Thanksgiving Dinner Meal Plan & Guide
Inside this eBook, you’ll find 23 Thanksgiving recipes for easy entertaining. PLUS, done-for-you daily holiday prep, helpful kitchen notes, and hour-by-hour timing instructions for Thanksgiving day.
This digital download is like hiring a kitchen assistant to plan out an incredibly delicious menu for your family.
Making Orange Juice Cranberry Sauce Ahead
Plan on making the cranberry sauce ahead? Good idea. Here’s how to prepare and store the sauce, so it stays fresh:
- Transfer the cooled sauce to 12-ounce mason jars.
- Top with lid and seal.
- Refrigerate for up to 10 to 14 days.
Whether you make this recipe for your Thanksgiving meal or your Holiday gatherings, I can almost guarantee that you’ll be asked for the recipe!Print
Orange Juice Cranberry Sauce
Upgrade your holiday feast with orange and cranberry sauce. The cranberries are simmered down with sugar, fresh orange juice, and zest for a rich and delicious flavor.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2.5 cups
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove-top
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 12-ounce bag of whole cranberries
- 1 cup 100% orange juice- not from concentrate
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Rinse cranberries.
- Combine the cranberries, orange juice, zest, and sugar in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool. It will thicken as it cools.
- For whole cranberry sauce, serve it once cooled or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Store leftover cranberry sauce in a lidded jar or airtight container for 10 to 14 days.
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 53
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cranberry sauce, homemade cranberry sauce, cranberry and orange sauce
Tiffany's Toy Box
Omg! This looks super d-lish –cranberry sauce is my fav part of thxgiving!!! Now I can make my own!