This post is sponsored by my long-term partner, Bob’s Red Mill. The recipe and thoughts are mine.
These Red Velvet Brownies are super fudgy, delicious, and make one show-stopping dessert!
I was first introduced to red velvet while picking out my wedding cake, my husband-to-be, and I chose red velvet for our top cake layer. The light cocoa flavor and buttery texture where divine- add cream cheese icing, and I was head over heels (for him and the cake).
I recreated that special memory into red velvet cupcakes for our 13th wedding anniversary, so red velvet cake has a special place in my heart.
If you’ve been a follower of this blog for a while, you already know that I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mill high quality flours for years. Their flours always yield a consistent texture to all of my baking recipes -even when baking gluten-free.
Bob’s Red Mill flours are easy to find at most supermarkets and if you’re anything like me, you order them in bulk from Amazon.
This holiday, it’s my turn to bake something indulgent; so instead of making my famous red velvet cupcakes, I decided to go all out with these brownies.
They’re soft in the middle, moist, crumbly, super chocolatey, and topped with a thick layer of cream cheese icing; this might be the best round yet!
What is Red Velvet
Red velvet cake is most known for its velvety-smooth and moist texture with that gorgeous burgundy color.
Its unique flavor is what sets this dessert apart. How does it taste? Both red velvet cake and brownies are chocolatey, have a hint of vanilla with a buttery rich texture.
Traditionally, red velvet brownies and red velvet cake is topped with cream cheese icing for the ultimate indulgent experience.
Like most brownies, these are super chocolatey and moist. I like to consider them the more indulgent version of red velvet cake.
Traditionally, red velvet cake uses a little cocoa powder for flavor, but since these are brownies, I went to town on the chocolate and melted some into the batter as well.
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies
Making red velvet brownies is similar to making traditional brownies, actually. There is some food coloring involved, which you can use traditional or an organic food coloring kit.
1.Preheat the Oven
The first step in baking, always. Grab a 9 x 9-inch baking pan and grease it with butter.
2.Melt some Chocolate
Combine the butter and chopped chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until the chocolate is smooth and silky. Grab a spoon, stir the chocolate, and now you have a treat while you finish baking.
3.Mix the wet ingredients…
Add both sugars, eggs, vanilla, and red food coloring to the melted chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
4.Add the flour
Add 1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour and a ⅛ teaspoon of salt to the chocolate and egg mixture. Whisk until fully combined.
Transfer the batter to the baking pan making sure to scrape the bowl.
Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Remove from oven and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer until combined. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing on low speed after each addition until the icing is thick and smooth.
8.Get ready to frost and lick your fingers…
Remove the brownies from the pan, layer on thick slabs of cream cheese frosting, cut into 12 squares, and snap a pic for the gram. P.S- tag me, @laurasfuentes, on it!
Grab beverage of choice, a brownie and go to town- you deserve this!
Red Velvet Brownie Recipe Tips
- Use Quality Chocolate
- Don’t Overbake
- Stick them in the fridge after cooling down to room temperature so they firm up and they are easier to frost.
This recipe uses chopped semi-sweet chocolate instead of cocoa powder, it gives the brownies their fudgy, gooey texture, unlike cocoa powder which makes them more cake-like.
Also, let’s not forget a VERY important addition to the brownie: the cream cheese icing.
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Now my friend, it’s time to take one or three big bites of your chocolatey goodness!!
Fudgy Red Velvet Brownies
- 4 ounce bar semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon natural red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter with the chocolate, stirring after every 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and red food coloring to the chocolate mixture and whisk until fully combined. Add the flour and salt, stir until smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the lined baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and salt, stir to combine.
- Mixing on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Lift the brownies from the baking pan, top with icing, and cut into 16-inch squares.