This simple recipe brings out the best of roasted beets: their delicious sweet and caramelized flavors; plus, the simple maple Dijon dressing will have you making this recipe on repeat.
Roasted Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Caramelized beets over a fresh bed of spinach, with soft, creamy goat cheese and a delicious dressing, it can’t get any better! This Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese makes a healthy lunch, a light dinner, or a tasty side!
When you roast beets and other vegetables, the natural sugars show up, making them taste waaaay better than steamed veggies. One bite of this salad and you’ll fall head over feet, so don’t forget to try my Winter Salad with Caramelized Veggies too!
Plus, this salad recipe is a great way to enjoy the benefits of beets because they’re a terrific source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The goat cheese provides protein, calcium, and healthy fats. And the best part is that this salad is really easy to make because the oven does all the work!
Combine beets with goat cheese, greens, a tasty dressing and hello.perfect.salad! Just a few extra staples, and you’re ready to drool:
- Beets: golden or purple beets washed, peeled, and cubed.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: to keep the beets from sticking to the pan, and more for the dressing.
- Italian Seasoning: adds tons of flavor to the beets.
- Salt: for seasoning.
- Baby spinach: to create a bed of greens for this salad. You can use other greens you have on hand.
- Crumbled goat cheese: adds a tangy, creamy flavor. If you don’t have goat cheese, feta or Cotija make a good swap.
- Walnuts: for crunchiness and extra nutrition.
- Balsamic dressing: for my easy homemade recipe, you’ll need olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and salt. You can use your favorite salad dressing too!
You’ll find a printable recipe card with all the measurements below.
How to Make Roasted Beet Salad
Peeling and cubing the beets may take a few minutes, but once that’s done, there’s very little work ahead. Let the oven roast the beets, assemble the salad, and enjoy!
- Prep the oven
Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Season the beets
In a 9×13-inch sheet pan, toss the beets with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Roast the beets
Place the pan in the preheated oven and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until beets are soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the dressing
In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and salt.
- Assemble the salad
Place the spinach in a large serving bowl to form a salad bed. Top with the warm roasted beets and evenly distribute the goat cheese (if using) and walnuts over the salad. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Tips for Roasting Beets
Once you try roasted caramelized veggies, they’ll become a go-to for any meal! Follow these tips for roasting beets to perfection, and your salads will never be the same:
Avoid a purple mess
Beets are a great veggie but also one that can turn your kitchen -and your hands- a little pinkish! I recommend using kitchen gloves for peeling and cubing them and avoid using a wooden cutting board since it can soak up the color. You can also cover the sheet pan with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
Cube beets evenly
When roasting any veggie, try to cube them into even-size pieces. This way, the beets will cook evenly. You can also try my easy method for cooking whole beets; it takes longer in the oven, but it’s quicker to prepare.
How to Prep Ahead
Making roasted veggies ahead will change your meals so far! By cooking beets in bulk, you’ll always have a terrific side dish for any protein and a perfect topping for salads like this one.
If you’re want to meal prep this Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, allow the beets to cool down to room temperature before store them in an airtight container on the fridge for up to 4 days.
Once ready to eat, you can warm them up in the microwave or enjoy them at room temperature. Place the greens, beets, toppings, and drizzle the dressing. You can also enjoy these roasted beets on a taco night by assembling these incredible Chipotle Beet with Goat Cheese & Egg Tostadas.
Freezing Roasted Beets for future salads
Want to freeze the roasted beets? Store them in a freezer-safe container or zip bag for up to 2 months. Reheat them in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 375F or in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes. When freezing beets, the texture will be slightly softer, but they will still taste delicious!
Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
For the beets:
- 3 medium beets, washed, peeled, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
Roast the beets:
- In a 9×13 inch sheet pan, toss the beets with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until beets are soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and salt.
Assemble the salad:
- Place the spinach in a large serving bowl to form a salad bed. Top with the warm roasted beets and evenly distribute the cheese (if using) and walnuts over the top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.