Skip the bun and make it a meal with this easy and filling recipe for sausage salad!
This recipe is the perfect way to get your leafy greens into your day and stay full with added protein. It’s also a terrific low-carb meal that will keep you full longer!
Quick Sausage Salad
Salads are meant to be fast and simple, and when it comes to making this salad, it’s a no-fuss way to make it a meal.
Using chicken sausage is a great way to cut down on the calories and the fat content as well, without cutting out any of the flavors you love.
Bell peppers add that fresh crunch we all love from salads, but you can get creative and add more veggies like tomatoes, carrots, and cucumber, for example.
What You Need
Here is what you’ll need to make this pepper and sausage recipe:
- Chicken sausage: Choose your favorite brand, and slice them into bite-sized pieces to cook them faster.
- Olive oil: for cooking, you can also use your favorite oil.
- Onion: a sweet onion would be a great flavor enhancer. Just slice and add.
- Bell pepper: Choose bright colors and slice thin.
- Romaine lettuce or salad mix: You can also use kale, spinach, or any other greens as your base.
- Maple Dijon Vinaigrette: make the recipe or use your favorite salad dressing.
You’ll find a printable recipe card below with all the ingredient measurements.
How to Make a Salad with Sausage
Minimal prep and a quick cooking time are what to expect with this dish! This is what you’ll be doing:
- Cook or warm up the sausage
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil. Add the sausage, sliced onion, and peppers to the pan, and stir to combine. Cook until the veggies are soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Make your dressing
Combine the ingredients for the maple dijon dressing in a small lidded jar. Or, use store-bought to save time.
- Prep the salad bowls
Meanwhile, make a base of lettuce for your salad in four bowls. Top with sliced avocado.
To serve, distribute the cooked sausage and peppers over the avocado and salad.
What Dressings Go With Sausage Salad
The best dressings for sausage salads are those that have complimentary flavors to the sausage you’re using, with vinaigrettes pairing best for their simplicity or classic creamy dressings like ranch.
If using an Italian-flavored sausage, either chicken or pork, the Maple Dijon vinaigrette in the recipe is ideal, as well as my classic Balsamic Vinaigrette.
If using smoked or spicy sausage, consider a creamier dressing like my classic Ranch Dressing to tone down the heat.
Make It A Meal
There is always room for added sides! Some delicious options that you can easily pair with this dish are Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice or even Easy Roasted Frozen Vegetables. Adding more veggies to a meal is never a bad idea!
- 4 chicken sausages, or your favorite, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, sliced thin
- Maple Dijon Vinaigrette, or your favorite
- 6 cups romaine lettuce or spring salad mix
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil. Add the sausage, sliced onion, and peppers to the pan, and stir to combine. Cook until the veggies are soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a base of lettuce for your salad in four bowls and make the salad dressing, if making it homemade.
- To serve, distribute the cooked sausage and peppers over the salad. The heat from the pepper mixture will soften the avocados and take them to another level!