Grilled veggie kabobs are always a winner during grilling season, and the best way to inject them with flavor is to use this simple vegetable marinade for kabobs.
I’m a big fan of dressings and marinades that can be made in a matter of minutes with simple ingredients I already have on hand, and this citrus marinade is one of them.
Vegetable Marinade for Kabobs Ingredients
If you love simple marinades that bring out your vegetables’ natural flavors, then I recommend olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, and thyme mixture.
- Olive oil: adds flavor and coats the veggies for grilling.
- Garlic: fresh cloves, either grated or minced add that zest you love. You can use powdered, half the amount.
- Lemon juice: fresh juice is a must. The acid cuts through the oil and gives the veggies freshness you love. Add the zest for an extra bang of freshness.
- Herbs: oregano, thyme, basil (or Italian Seasoning) to make the veggies flavorful.
- Salt and pepper: to season the veggies and enhance the flavors of the marinade ingredients.
You’ll find the ingredient measurements in the recipe card below.
How to Make a Marinade for Kabobs
There is little difference between making a marinade for kabobs and mixing salad dressing. All you have to do is combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and shake.
To use it, lightly brush skewers with marinade.
Watch this video to see it come together.
How Long to Marinate Vegetables for Grilled Kabobs
Once you prep your veggies for grilling, you can make the marinade in a zip bag, add the chopped veggies into the bag and allow the marinade flavors to soak through for about 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
You can also use a marinade tray.
Be Sure to Soak Your Skewers
Wooden skewers are most often used to assemble kabobs, and before you do this, they will need to be soaked in water for 30 minutes. A great time to soak them is while you marinate your veggies.
The Best Veggie Kabobs
Making veggie kabobs is simple when you have fresh and in-season vegetables. Try some of the combinations below to make colorful skewers full of flavor:
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Potatoes, baby, pre-cooked
From cooking times, pairings, soaking the skewers, everything you need to know for perfect grilled veggie kabobs in this post.
Essentials for Grilling Veggie Kabobs
Outside of the grill, there are a small handful of items that make grilling veggie kabobs easier. here are my favorites:
- Metal skewers or wooden skewers
- Marinating tray
- Basting brush & cup set
- Baking Pan for transport
- Extra-long grilling tongs
Vegetable Marinade for Kabobs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, thyme, basil, oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Lightly brush skewers with marinade and place them on the grill.
- Or, place loose veggies inside a zip bag and allow the marinade flavors to soak through for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Then, poke veggies through a skewer and grill to perfection.
- Recipe serves 24