If your family loves pancakes as much as mine, then these pancake bites are going to be a hit. They have the soft texture of a fluffy pancake with juicy blueberries baked into each bite.
Enjoy them plain or with a drizzle of homemade icing for a fun breakfast.
Easy Pancake Bites
These pancake bites are a yummy tribute to classic blueberry pancakes served in a way that you can enjoy from home or on the go. The batter is the same as my fluffy pancake recipe, but instead of cooking and flipping over on a griddle, the oven does all the work for you.
These bites can also be made ahead and frozen for extra busy mornings when you need something that can be popped in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Here’s everything you need to make a batch of blueberry pancake bites:
- all-purpose flour: an essential ingredient for pancake bites. Make this a gluten-free option by replacing the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- sugar: is optional, but it’s only a tablespoon and makes the bites slightly sweet, without overdoing it.
- baking powder: helps the batter rise and gives the muffins that fluffy pancake texture.
- salt: to enhance the flavor of the blueberries and other ingredients.
- milk: regular or a non-dairy alternative will work.
- butter: makes these bites super moist.
- egg: binds the ingredients and adds structure to the batter.
- vanilla extract: pairs deliciously with the blueberries.
- lemon zest: goes great with the blueberries and adds a tangy, fresh flavor.
- blueberries: blueberries are high in antioxidants and vitamins, making them a great addition to all sorts of breakfasts and snacks. You can use fresh or frozen.
- powdered sugar: combined with a little milk to create a quick glaze to drizzle over the bites.
How to Make Pancake Bites
Grab those ingredients, and let’s make pancake bites!
Preheat the oven to 400F and lightly grease a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Sift the dry ingredients
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make the batter
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the milk, butter, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix until there are no clumps.
- Top with blueberries
Divide the muffin batter between the muffin cups, filling them ¾th full. Place 3 blueberries in each cup, pushing them into the batter.
Bake the pancake bites for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Make the glaze
In a medium bowl, whisk the powdered sugar with milk until smooth.
- Time to eat
Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool down slightly before serving. Drizzle with icing and enjoy.
Make Next: Full-Size Pancake Muffins
More Pancake Bite Mix-Ins
Like regular pancakes, you can add any of your favorite mix-ins to the pancake bite batter. I chose blueberries since I keep them on hand for smoothies, baked goods, and breakfast recipes, but you can swap them out in this recipe for:
- ¾ cup raspberries
- ¾ cup diced strawberries
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried cranberries + 1 teaspoon orange zest
Make-Ahead Pancake Bites
To make these pancake bites ahead, prepare them according to the recipe directions and allow them to cool down to room temperature before placing them in an airtight container and covering them with a paper towel. Store at room temperature for 2 to 4 days.
To freeze, place the cooled pancake bites in a zip bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, microwave a serving for 1 minute or until heated through and the blueberries are tender.
Blueberry Pancake Bites
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 24 mini-muffin pan with butter or spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the milk, butter, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix to combine the batter until there are no clumps.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾th full and top with 3 blueberries each, pushing them slightly down into the batter.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- For the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar and 1 ½ teaspoon of milk until smooth. Drizzle over the mini muffins and enjoy.
- If making this recipe gluten-free, I recommend using a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour mix.
- Nutrition information is calculated without the glaze.