Need a mid-week dinner that is super easy to make, helps you use up leftovers, and the whole family will love? This easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry is going to become your go-to recipe.
When you have a family that is constantly on the go; having a few easy recipes on hand that you know they will actually eat and you can pull it together in less than 30 minutes is a must! This recipe will be a lifesaver because you can switch out the veggies and protein while keeping the delicious sauce the same.
Our Summer nights are not much different than any other day during the school year. The only difference is that I’m a little bit more lenient with bedtimes. It’s hard to get the kids to come inside to eat dinner since the sun sets much later. When most families are eating dinner, we still outside by the pool or riding bikes. Heck, if it’s daylight, the kids want to be outside.
Anway, I often find myself in the kitchen at 7:30 pm starting to make dinner. I know, it’s late, but I just don’t know where the time goes when we are having fun outside or at the dojo.
For our late nights, I have recipes like this one planned in our weekly meal plan so I can spend every last minute hanging out with the kids. Because I can make the sauce, clean and cut the chicken, and have the veggies set aside all prepped; I can usually whip this up in minutes while the kids get cleaned up for the night.
I’m all about utilizing the basic staples for quick weeknight meals. All the ingredients for this recipe are kept in my fridge and pantry (if not the freezer) at all times and the rice can be made in 5 minutes with quick rice or I let the programmable rice cooker do all the work while we play.
You can use a wok or a large skillet -large being about 12-14 inches- you are missing out on making easy meals in a single pot! This skillet saves the day multiple times per week since it can handle enough food to feed the whole family.
As you can see from the video below, it comes together quickly, something we parents love. And, should you not have broccoli around, you can substitute it with peppers, peas, shredded carrots… the possibilities are endless!
Fresh, real, and easy to find ingredients are all that make up this recipe –such a bonus for this busy mom! While your chicken is cooking, you can make the awesome Asian sauce in a bowl and cook your rice to serve with this chicken and broccoli stir-fry!
What are some of your favorite quick mid-week meals?Print
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 bowls 1x
- Category: Dinner, Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Cut chicken breast into 1-inch pieces and season with salt on all sides. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat up ½ tablespoon oil. Add in broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender but remain crispy.
- Add in ginger and garlic, stir to distribute around the vegetables, and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove veggies from pan onto a plate, cover, and set aside.
- To the pan, add remaining oil and cook chicken pieces, making sure to flip to cook throughout for about 7 minutes to a safe temperature of 165F and it has browned on all sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the fish sauce, chicken broth, sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce. In a small dish, combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water.
- Add vegetables back into the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables and stir to combine. Add in the dissolved cornstarch, whisk with sauce to combine, and bring to a boil. Cook for an additional minute for sauce to thicken, turn off heat.
- Serve chicken and broccoli stir fry alongside steamed rice.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 426
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 1874.9mg
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 48.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 32.1g
- Cholesterol: 82.7g