May 4, 2019
Craving takeout? Try this homemade recipe for chicken stir fry with zucchini!
Tender chicken stir-fried with zucchini, broccoli and carrots in homemade teriyaki sauce- this chicken and zucchini teriyaki is healthier than takeout and it comes together faster than you can get it delivered to your door!
It’s one of those recipes that tastes better the next day so making it is always a win-win!
The Best Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry
If you’re looking for the perfect stir-fry, here it is! This zucchini chicken teriyaki is loaded with a mouthwatering combination of tender chicken and fresh veggies coated in a sweet and savory sauce.
Not only does it taste like your favorite take-out order, but it’s super satisfying and won’t leave you feeling lethargic.
While you can use bottled teriyaki sauce, I prefer to make it from scratch with 4 simple ingredients. It’s packed with a ton of flavor and contains less sodium than what you’d grab at the store.
Here’s everything you need to make healthy chicken and veggie teriyaki stir fry!
- oil: gives the chicken a golden sear and prevents the meat and veggies from sticking to the skillet.
- chicken breasts: super lean and pack a ton of protein. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- zucchini and other veggies: for this recipe, I used zucchini, matchstick carrots, and broccoli. However, feel free to swap those veggies for your favorite stir-fry blend. You can also use frozen veggies, but make sure they are defrosted before adding to the skillet.
- favorite teriyaki sauce: I share my easy and lower-sodium teriyaki sauce below, but you could substitute it for bottled teriyaki sauce.
- rice: cooked and served with the finished stir-fry. See how to make perfectly fluffy rice every time here!
Want to make some swaps? This recipe is extremely versatile and you can customize it based on what your family loves. The chicken can be traded in for shrimp, thinly sliced steak, or tofu. The same goes for the veggies swap them for the tasty veggies you have on hand!
How to Make Chicken & Zucchini Stir Fry
Grab those ingredients, a large skillet, and let’s make this amazing meal!
- Prep the chicken
Place the chicken onto a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Using a sharp knife, cube the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Brown the chicken
In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the zucchini & other vegetables
Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the veggies. Cook until they are slightly tender.
- Stir it all together
Add the chicken pieces and teriyaki sauce to the veggies and stir to coat the ingredients with the sauce. Cover the skillet with the lid and remove from heat.
- Time to serve
Scoop some rice into a bowl and top with a generous portion of chicken and broccoli stir-fry!
Watch the video below to see how easy this recipe is to make from start to finish:
How to Pack Stir Fry for Lunch
If you’re a fan of hot lunches, this teriyaki recipe is PERFECT! I often double the recipe and store the rice, chicken, and veggies in individual airtight containers for up to 3 days.
From there, you can pack a container in your office bag, and for the kids, reheat the contents and pack them in thermos containers. This way, everyone gets an incredible hot lunch, and you made two meals out of one.
Want more healthy and delicious meals that make great weeknight meals or packed lunches? Check out my Meal Prep’d eBook.
It’s filled with incredible and family-approved recipes to make for dinner, with instructions on how to pack each recipe for lunch.
Sides for Zucchini Chicken Stir Fry
To make this dish even more satiating, you could serve it with steamed edamame for extra protein or sliced fruit for more variety. If you want to serve it low-carb style, exchange the rice for steamed cauliflower rice.
Carbs aren’t a problem? Serve it over cooked spaghetti or lomein noodles.
Meal Prep Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry
This chicken and broccoli teriyaki is a perfect example of a healthy dinner you can prep ahead!
The chicken can be cubed and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Chop the vegetables, prepare the homemade teriyaki sauce, and refrigerate them in separate airtight containers.
Knocking out those few steps days in advance will save you time later in the week and shave off a good 15 to 20 minutes from weeknight kitchen duty.
Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil , divided
- 1 zucchini quartered, 1 ½ cups
- 1 ½ cups matchstick carrots
- 2 ½ cups small broccoli florets
- ¾ cup favorite teriyaki sauce, storebought or homemade recipe below
- 1 ½ cups rice cooked according to package directions
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Place the chicken onto a cutting board and pat dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, cube the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the veggies. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the honey, coconut aminos or soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken and teriyaki sauce to the veggies and stir to coat the ingredients with the sauce. Cover the skillet with the lid and remove it from heat.
- Scoop some rice into a bowl and top with the chicken and veggies.