Whether you ran out of milk or just want a recipe for pancakes without milk that uses water, today’s recipe and tips will show you how to make fluffy pancakes every time!
Can You Make Pancakes Without Milk?
Of course, you can make pancakes without milk, that’s why we’re here today!
Flavor aside, the purpose of milk in a pancake recipe is to dissolve the flour and other ingredients and to provide the liquid structure. This means that any liquid will do the trick.
Making Pancakes with Water
Making pancakes with water is as simple as making regular pancakes. The main difference with a water-based pancake recipe and a milk-based recipe will be the flavor of the cooked pancakes.
Whether you use dairy milk or non-dairy milk in a recipe, using “milk” adds a creamy flavor to pancakes. Even pancake mixes that say “just add water” have powdered milk in the ingredients.
So, if you want great tasting pancakes with water, make sure to not skimp on the melted butter, vanilla, and the little bit of sugar that’s added to the recipe.
If you try a pancake or two and find them a little bland, add one of the “flavor add-ins” listed below.
Pancakes without Milk Ingredients
To make pancakes without milk, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
If you have those ingredients, let’s keep going!
Pancake Batter Consistency without Milk
The consistency of pancake batter without milk is the same as my milk-based pancake recipe.
Check out this video so you can learn the consistency of good pancake batter. Granted, I add milk to the bowl, but the consistency is the same.
Other Milk Substitutes for Pancakes
Milk adds both flavor and the “liquid” to a pancake recipe. There are other milk substitutes for pancakes and below I share both options: for flavor and liquid texture.
Liquid Milk Substitutes for Pancakes
As a liquid substitute for milk, use equal parts of:
- almond milk
- oat milk
- soy milk
- hemp milk
- half & half + water (50/50 ratio)
- heavy cream + water (50/50 ratio)
- cashew milk
- rice milk
- coconut milk
- eggnog (check out this eggnog pancake recipe)
Milk Substitutes for Pancakes to add flavor
If you’re using water to make a pancake recipe, you’ll need to add a little more “flavor.” Here are some add-in options:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 extra tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup blueberries, chopped berries
- 1/4 cup jam or jelly
- Zest of 1 orange
Pancakes without Milk
No milk? No problem! This recipe for pancakes without milk uses water instead and still yields a fluffy and delicious stack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 10 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the water, egg, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix with a whisk or fork until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or large pan over medium-high heat, I set my griddle at 300-350 F.
- Pour or scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Wait until bubbles form to flip. Continue cooking for an additional minute to cook through, and brown on the other side. Remove from the pan or griddle and serve.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 239.6mg
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 35.7g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: pancakes without milk, how to make pancakes without milk, milk free pancakes