November 9, 2015
It’s meatless Monday along with Monday Night Football and I’m ready for the perfect tailgate! As you know, I love to host friends and family at our house and food is always at the center of our gatherings. This time is no different. However, we are sidelining the meat for this tailgate and proving that there are such things as winning meatless recipes.
A typical tailgate with my family and friends usually includes all things meat like burgers, cajun sausage, stuffed peppers, chicken wraps, along with dips and sides that include a lot of cheese. Sounds delicious, I know! My mouth is watering as I write this. But, having friends and family that are both vegetarians and very sensitive to dairy, had me rethinking the typical menu (we do a pot-luck of sorts in our gatherings). I wanted to make sure they had a main dish they would enjoy as well as blowing away my other guests’ palates.
Since I already use almond and cashew milk in my house to accommodate for Gabriel’s dairy-free needs, I knew right away this would be something I would incorporate into our tailgate. Silk’s plant-based beverages and yogurt alternatives are extremely versatile in the kitchen and can be used to create delicious meat- and dairy-free versions of your go-to tailgating recipes. For Meatless Monday, I choose a Portobello Mushroom Burger with a Southwestern Avocado Ranch. I knew this recipe would wow my guests. Check out how easy:
When you sideline the meat, it can sometimes be scary; especially, when feeding the manly egos in my family during a football game. My husband comes from a family of men with big appetites, and they devour meat right off the grill, before and during the game.
Wanting to keep it with our traditional grilling theme, I knew if I picked something “burger” they would love it. I have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of portobello mushrooms, but I love this Southwestern Avocado Ranch Recipe. And believe me, once you try it you’ll want to make a thinner version and drizzle it over all your salads.
I had a blast taking the #MeatlessMondayNight challenge this football season. For more tailgating ideas, visit Silk for the Sideline Meat Taste Challenge, plant-based tips, and recipes!
What is your go-to meatless game-time dish?
Meatless Monday: Avocado Ranch with Silk!
- ½ cup unsweetened original Silk Cashew Milk
- 2 avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 1 small jalapeño, halved and seeded
- 1 lime, juiced, about 2-3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place all ingredients inside your blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- For a dip like consistency, keep as is; for a dressing, add additional Silk Cashew Milk until you reach your desired consistency.
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Silk!
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup black bean and corn salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 whole grain buns
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat (about 350-375F).
- On a flat surface, brush Portobello mushroom caps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt both sides.
- Grill, for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and assemble burger, spreading Avocado ranch on both the bottom and top buns, layering lettuce, grilled Portobello, avocado slices, salsa, and additional avocado ranch dressing.
- *if you can’t find bean and corn salsa, mix salsa with corn kernels (frozen or canned) and cooked black beans to your desired consistency.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.