Delicious, flavorful, healthy chicken pot pie soup in the slow cooker. Oh yes, it’s the ultimate comfort food recipe made effortless in your crockpot.
This recipe has all of the traditional pot pie flavors, but it’s lighter in both calories and fat.
Healthy Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This warm soup is one that your whole family is sure to enjoy. Yes, even with all of those veggies! They’re cooked down to a perfectly soft texture that everyone is going to love.
My husband loved this dish—he is a chicken pot pie lover, so this soup was a huge hit with him. It has all the classic flavors of a traditional pot pie but without needing to make pie crust. It’s also naturally gluten-free, so I don’t have to make any adjustments to the recipe.
If you need gluten or grain-free biscuits to serve with this soup, my Almond Flour Biscuits are the perfect companion.
This recipe was a big win in our family, and I’m sure it will be in yours, too!
What I love about this soup is that it’s easy to make with pantry staples. You need chicken, pantry spices, and some veggies and you’re ready to make this chicken pot pie soup.
Here’s the full list.
- Chicken breasts: boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed.
- Aromatics: diced onion and celery.
- Carrots: if you have other veggies on hand, you can swap them out!
- Peas: the classic “green” we expect to find in any chicken pot pie version!
- Chicken broth: use store-bought or make your own chicken broth with this recipe.
- Half and half: adds just the right amount of creaminess.
- Spices: garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Parsley: to sprinkle over the soup.
- Water: to mix with the corn starch.
- Corn starch: for thickening this soup.
Simple right? But trust me, these ingredients come together to make something truly amazing. You’ll find the measurements in the recipe card below.
Related: More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup in the Slow Cooker
Ready to get started? Let me show you how it’s done step by step so you can make this easy soup tonight.
Here’s how the magic happens:
Chop your vegetables and cube your chicken breasts to get them ready.
- Into the pot
Place the chicken, onion, carrots celery, broth, and spices in the crockpot and cook for 4-6 hours.
Stir water an corn startch together until combined. Add this to the soup in the crockpot along with the frozen peas and half and half. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Prep the biscuits
While the soup is finishing, prepare your favorite biscuts to serve over the top of this soup for the full “chicken pot pie” experience.
Customize this recipe with the following suggestions as needed, and you will enjoy an epic soup every time.
Instead of chicken breasts
You can make this recipe using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pre-cooked and shredded chicken meat, or swap the protein and cook this delicious Turkey Pot Pie Soup.
While carrots and peas are a classic, this soup tastes just as good with other veggies such as frozen green beans, corn, diced potatoes, sliced mushrooms, or chopped cauliflower.
Make it dairy-free
Swap half and half for the same amount of cashew milk or unsweetened almond milk. It won’t turn out as creamy, but it’ll still be super delicious.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
Once you try this chicken soup, you’ll be planning when to make it again. But this is just the beginning because I have many epic soup recipes for you, like this amazing Chicken Noodle Soup and this Healthy Chicken Stew.
What is your favorite slow cooker soup recipe?
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 ½ celery stalks, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Biscuits , for serving
- In the dish of a slow cooker, combine the chicken breast pieces, onion, celery, chicken broth, garlic powder, thyme, salt, pepper, and carrots. Cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high, or 6 on low.
- In the final 30 minutes, prepare your favorite biscuits.
- In a small bowl, whisk the water with the cornstarch until just combined. Add the mixture to the slow cooker along with the green peas and half and half. Stir and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley and biscuits.