Are you ready to make the perfect light and fluffy yogurt muffins? This recipe uses less sugar and Greek yogurt for a healthier muffin with incredible strawberry flavor in each bite.
You’ll want to bake a batch every week because these muffins are a winner for easy breakfasts, and you can customize them with your favorite chopped fruit or berries.
Let me show you how to make yogurt muffins with additional recipe tips, so every batch is amazing!
The Best Greek Yogurt Muffins
Greek yogurt helps cut down on fat and gives these muffins a super moist texture with light crumbs. It also adds more calcium and 8 grams of protein to each muffin.
You can also use plain, vanilla, or strawberry flavored yogurt- the flavored yogurts will give the muffins a sweeter flavor without a ton of added sugar. While regular yogurt won’t provide as much nutritional benefit as Greek yogurt would, it will still provide that fluffy moist texture, so you can use it if that’s what you have on hand.
Strawberry Yogurt Muffin Ingredients
These strawberry yogurt muffins are made with simple ingredients from the fridge and pantry. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour: the flour of choice, but you can also make them gluten-free with all-purpose gluten-free flour or oat flour.
- old fashioned oats: to give them texture.
- sugar: just enough to make the muffins slightly sweet.
- baking powder: helps the muffin batter rise.
- baking soda: reacts with the acids in the Greek yogurt and makes the muffins super light.
- salt: enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- plain Greek yogurt: makes moist and fluffy muffins.
- egg: to bind the ingredients.
- butter: just enough to moisten the batter, we don’t need as much thanks to the yogurt.
- vanilla extract: gives the muffin a cake-like flavor.
- fresh strawberries: adds summery flavor. You could also use blueberries, raspberries, or another chopped fruit.
What I love is that I can use fresh fruit, like strawberries that are a little too ripe in my fridge, or frozen fruit that I always have in my freezer for smoothies. Either way, you’ll want to make sure the fruit is chopped into even-sized pieces for even cooking.
How to Make Strawberry Greek Yogurt Muffins
Follow the recipe directions below, and you can guarantee bakery-grade muffins with beautiful golden-brown tops. Let’s make it happen!
Preheat the oven to 375F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- Combine the wet ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt, egg, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Make the batter
Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats to the yogurt mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold the ingredients until just combined. Fold in the strawberries.
Fill each muffin cup ¾th full and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Ta-da! It’s that simple, and you can watch the entire recipe in this video:
Yogurt Muffin Texture
The acids and creaminess of Greek yogurt create a muffin texture and flavor that’s superior to regular muffins. It’s almost cake-like but with fine, soft crumbs and tangy-sweet flavor. What’s not to love about that?
Can You Make Gluten-Free Yogurt Muffins
You can make these yogurt muffins gluten-free with a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour or oat flour; both options are an excellent swap. The oat flour will make the muffin texture slightly heartier, but that’s not a bad thing.
Other Yogurt Muffin Mix-Ins
Want to make another yogurt muffin flavor? Customize this recipe with any of the add-in ideas below:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup diced banana
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup shredded carrots + ½ cup raisins + ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Yogurt Muffin Success Tips
Take advantage of these helpful tips so your muffins will turn out perfect every time!
The perfect muffin batter is one that’s just combined and thick enough that you need a spoon or ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin pan.
Use Greek yogurt
Use regular Greek yogurt, or opt for vanilla or strawberry for a sweeter flavor.
Start with room temperature ingredients
Room temperature ingredients make a smooth, cohesive batter and give baked goods an even texture.