This watermelon feta salad with is one of my mom’s favorite recipes and I have to agree with her. It’s the perfect side dish for a Summer BBQ and makes a pretty amazing lunch too.
In spite of having a busy schedule with three kids plus an exchange student, travel, work, and life, my mom and I still manage to spend a lot of time together. We do dinner at my parents one night per week, and I can’t tell you how much I love that we do that. Salad is always on the menu, and when it’s hot outside, this refreshing Watermelon, Feta and Mint salad is a must have.
How to Make Watermelon Feta Salad
This salad is so simple to make and comes together in a flash. If you can cut a watermelon – you can make this salad! Here’s how its done.
- Cut watermelon into 1 inch chunks and drain any excess juices in a colander.
- Place Arugula leaves in a large salad bowl and top with the watermelon chunks and crumbled feta cheese.
- Chop fresh mint leaves and add to the top of the salad.
- Drizzle dressing to coat the greens, and toss.
So simple right?
Dressing for Watermelon Salad
Now that you’ve made a delicious watermelon and feta salad, you have to decide how to top it. One of the most popular dressings to use for this type of salad is a Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I’ll be honest, I’m a huge fan of Balsamic dressing, and you can usually find a jar of my own homemade version in my fridge on any given day. Watch how to make it in this quick video (it’s so easy).
While I do love traditional Balsamic on any salad, for this recipe, I am going to strongly suggest you try my Orange Salad Dressing. It provides just the right amount of citrusy goodness that makes this salad the perfect Summer recipe.
This dressing can be kept in the fridge for up to a week, and you can use it as an easy chicken marinade too.
How to Make Orange Salad Dressing
Start with a few basic ingredients:
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Freshly squeeze lemon juice
- Minced shallots
- Olive oil
Got your ingredients? Perfect. Now you just have to whisk the juices, shallots, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly pour in the oil while you continue to whisk to form an emulsion.
And that’s it! You can whip this dressing up in no time, and it truly is the best way to top this amazing Watermelon Feta Salad.
With summer around the corner, our ovens are looking forward to taking a break from regular use. No one wants to heat up the house more than necessary in the hot summer months in the south! Which is why many of my summer recipes are similar to this one, fresh, delicious, and mouthwatering.
More Summer Salad Recipes
My mom doesn’t like to have the same salad twice in a week while I love to repeat some of my favorites. Of course, I’ve shared all my favorite salad recipes with you here, and you can always find salad inspiration with the recipes below.
Some of these salads make great side dishes, while others can be an entire meal all on their own. I pack salads as cold lunches for the office several days a week (no reheating needed!), and all of these have gone in my work lunchbox in the past month.
- BLT Salad
- Asian Kale Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Santa Fe Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Chicken Caprese Salad
If you are always on the go like I am, this salad is great because you have to serve it immediately. Make it, toss it, and enjoy! You don’t have to wait for a BBQ night to enjoy this one.
Watermelon Feta Salad
I love the fresh flavors in this watermelon feta salad recipe and how easily it comes together. Made with mint, and a homemade orange dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Lunch
- Diet: Low Calorie
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ¼ cup minced shallots (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup whole fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.
- Place the arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well.
- Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 628.7mg
- Fat: 24.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 22.3mg