July 11, 2022
Take a break from cooking side dishes with this delicious Mint Watermelon Salad. It comes together fast and it’s a summer favorite.
The best part about this refreshing salad recipe is that it’s excellent for a snack, as a healthy dessert option, or as a simple side dish.
Simple Watermelon & Mint Salad
If you can cut up some watermelon and mix it in a bowl, you can make this simple watermelon and mint salad!
During the hot days of summer, this watermelon salad is a MUST. I’m totally okay with that because watermelon offers some fast and simple health benefits that make me feel good about what I eat.
Watermelon is full of fiber and is great for hydration as well. It’s also kid-friendly so it’s a great side dish option to make for the whole family.
Mint Watermelon Salad Ingredients
The fresh ingredients listed below are all you need to make this mint watermelon salad. I’ve also included the dressing ingredients.
Here is what you’ll need:
- freshly squeezed orange juice: bottled orange juice will work as well just be sure to find someone without added sugar.
- freshly squeezed lemon juice: lemon juice in a bottle will work also.
- minced shallots: you can mince easily by chopping with a sharp knife or even using a mandolin slicer to make it thin.
- honey: the perfect natural sweetener for the dressing.
- salt: for seasoning.
- extra virgin olive oil: rich and delicious, adds flavor.
- watermelon: the star of the show, cubed.
- feta cheese: can be omitted but adds a rich tangy flavor to the salad.
- fresh mint leaves: purchase a bunch and you’ll have extra for a mojito.
How to Make Watermelon & Mint Salad
Grab a big bowl because everything is about to come together in it! Here is how to make the most delicious watermelon salad with mint:
- Make the dressing
Inside the large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, and salt. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion.
If you’re going to eat the salad later, make it in a lidded jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the salad
Place the watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing
Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the salad lightly and toss it well.
Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.
Watermelon Salad Variations
You can upgrade this simple watermelon salad by adding additional ingredients into the bowl, such as other fruits, crunchy veggies, or even lettuce or arugula.
For added crunch: add some chopped celery, diced cucumbers, or sunflower seeds.
For making it more substantial: make a base of green lettuce, arugula, or seven of this salad inside lettuce cups.
For a full recipe variation, try my watermelon feta salad served over arugula.
Make-Ahead Watermelon Salad
To make this watermelon salad ahead of time, make the dressing in a small lidded jar and prep the salad ingredients in a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
When it’s time to serve the salad, drizzle the dressing over the top and toss to combine.
You can prep this watermelon salad a day ahead.
Mint Watermelon Salad
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Inside the large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, and salt. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If you're going to eat the salad later, make it in a lidded jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place the watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the salad lightly and toss it well.