These Healthy Summer Dinner Ideas are fresh, delicious, and family-approved! Whether you choose to cook these in the kitchen or fire up the grill to cook some of the ingredients, these recipes give you more time for what really matters: family, daytime trips, and pool time.
Want to incorporate the very best of my recipes into a weekly plan that includes meal prep tips and a done-for-you shopping list? Subscribe to my Classic Weekly Meal Plan and I’ll help you do just that every week with fresh and healthy recipes the entire family will love.
Speaking of, let’s get on with the summer dinner ideas so you can chill out from the heavy cooking and get on with all the hot weather festivities!
Easy Summer Dinner Recipes for Families
During the warmer months, fresh produce is abundant and ready to be used in all sorts of simple meals that both taste and look impressive. No spending half the night in the kitchen with these either, each of them quick to assemble and can be prepped ahead to save you even more time. Perfect example: our first recipe, the Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa!
Want to see how some of these summer recipes come together in a video? See my favorites below:
Light Summer Meals
When the summer’s heat gets turned up we all tend to crave lighter fare such as salads, sandwiches, and grilled foods. The recipes below made great additions to your menu while keeping it light and satisfying.
No-Cook Dinner Ideas for Hot Days
On hot evenings when you don’t want to turn on the stove, oven, or fire up the grill, using meal-prepped ingredients to build a salad is the perfect solution. You can use pre-cooked chicken and hard-boiled eggs prepped earlier in the week, or put the microwave to use to cook up some bacon for a salad or wrap. Here are few recipes that put these practices to the test with delicious results.
Easy Summer Sides
Whether you have a few pool parties to attend and need a side dish to bring along or want something quick to assemble and serve alongside those steaks on the grill, these recipes are the epitome of fresh. Everything from salads to potatoes, these ideas are crowd pleasers and can be prepped ahead for easy assembling and serving.
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Carrot Fries
- Spiralized Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Corn Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Mashed Potato Bites
Healthy Summer Dinner Ideas
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into ½-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into ½-inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 links chicken sausage, about 12 ounces
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the peppers, onions, and garlic onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Toss to evenly coat the veggies and create a space in the center of the pan and add the chicken sausage links.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through and the veggies tender. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing the sausage and serving with peppers and onion.