When looking for a fresh recipe filled with summertime flavors and textures, this Fresh Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad with Shrimp is one of my favorite dishes to make.
I do a lot of entertaining during the warm weather months, and whenever I can, I like to use in-season ingredients. Of course, I also like to keep things super simple, and salads are a great way to create a meal in one bowl.
Last weekend, I met up with some friends at our local park where the Louisiana Philarmonic Orchestra performed their annual outdoor concert, Swing in the Pines. When my friend Christy invited me to come, she naturally said: “bring one of your yummy recipes we can all share; I’ll bring dessert.”
While looking for a recipe, I came across this delicious salad inside my friend Aviva Goldfarb’s book, The Six O’Clock Scramble Meal Planner, A Year of Quick, Delicious, Meals to Help You Prevent and Manage Diabetes. The recipes in the book are light and simple to make; plus they include nutritional information, making them a fabulous resource for anyone who might be managing diabetes.
After making this recipe and taking that first sample bite, I realized this would be great to share with you as well, so I took it out of the storage container and photographed it.
As you can see, the salad is full of fresh ingredients, and if you pick the avocado just right, it will elevate the salad to a whole new level. Because really, hard avocados are never good to eat and when they are overly ripe, I make my easy guacamole recipe.
What I loved most about this recipe is the crunchy texture combination. For added protein the shrimp is great, and I used frozen corn because I did not have any corn on the cobb handy -it is still May after all.
I can see myself adding this salad into my regular rotation, serving it inside of lettuce cups for a light dinner, and packing it for lunch!
Do you make a recipe that reminds you of summer?Print
Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad with Shrimp
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- 2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off (no need to cook if it’s fresh sweet corn. If not, steam it for 3 minutes)
- 3 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, cubed, or use Mexican queso fresco or cotija
- ¼ cup fresh basil, slivered
- 1–2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Pan-fry, steam or grill shrimp until they are pink, 3-4 minutes total.
- Combine all ingredients except the shrimp in a large bowl.
- Serve the shrimp on top of the salad.
Laura’s Make-ahead Notes:
Cook and refrigerate the shrimp, halve the tomatoes, remove the corn kernels from the cobs, or fully prepare and refrigerate the salad (wait to chop the avocado right before serving).