Spruce up your dinner plans with this simple chicken with peppers and onions. It’s a simple way to turn everyone’s favorite meat into a complete meal!
Whether you serve this recipe over rice in a bowl or with tortillas, with minimal effort, you’ll get a protein-rich meal loaded with flavor in every bite.
Quick Chicken with Peppers & Onions
Chicken is often our go-to ingredient for healthy dinner ideas because it fills bellies with lots of protein and it’s low in calories and fat. Paired with peppers and onions, the combination is a classic people pleaser!
You can make this recipe even faster by using a frozen fajita mix that includes pre-sliced peppers and onions, and to cook the chicken faster, you could also butterfly the chicken breasts.
Since you just need simple ingredients to compile this dish, you’re going to love it! Grab brightly colored peppers to add to really make the dish stand out!
- chicken breasts: boneless skinless chicken breasts are what the recipe calls for, but you can also use thighs.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper: for seasoning.
- unsalted butter: if you use salted butter, omit adding any extra salt
- olive oil: or your favorite for cooking.
- yellow onion: thinly sliced or white.
- bell peppers: have fun with the color combos
- garlic powder: or minced garlic
- Italian seasoning: great for an extra boost of flavor
You’ll find all the ingredient measurements in the recipe card below.
How to Make Skillet Chicken Peppers & Onions
You’re about to see why this is in our regular meal rotation at our house! It’s such a simple mealtime dish!
- Prep the chicken
Pat chicken dry; season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken
Cook the chicken breasts for 7 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for an additional 7 to 8 minutes; until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F, turn off the heat.
- Cook the peppers
Meanwhile, in another pan, heat up the remaining oil, and add the onion and seasonings. Once it begins to soften and becomes translucent, after about 4 minutes, add the bell peppers to the pan and cook for an additional 4 minutes until they are soft.
Transfer the veggies into the chicken pan and mix to combine.
Can You Cook Raw Chicken and Peppers Together
While you can cook raw chicken and peppers in the same pan, it’s important that you continue cooking the peppers, which don’t take as long to cook, until the chicken is fully cooked, to an internal temperature of 165F.
For this reason, I start cooking the chicken and while that cooks, cook the peppers and onions on a separate pan. To reduce cleanup, you could cook the chicken first, remove it onto a pan, then cook the peppers in the same pan and add the chicken back in at the end.
What Herbs go Best with Chicken and Peppers
Both chicken and peppers are like a white canvas that can be seasoned with just about anything! Some of my favorites are Cajun seasoning, Creole seasoning, Taco Seasoning, Jamaican Jerk seasoning, or even some curry powder!
How to Seve Chicken & Peppers
This chicken and peppers are a terrific low-carb meal by itself, turn it into a burrito, inside a tortilla as tacos, or on top of a bed of lettuce. You can also pair it with:
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Blueberry Spinach Salad
- Everyday Side Salad
Chicken with Peppers
Turn everyone’s favorite protein into a complete meal with this simple chicken with peppers and onions recipe!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Skillet
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, any color or a combo, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pat chicken dry; season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 7 minutes, flip, and cook the other side for an additional 7 to 8 minutes; until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F, turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, heat up the remaining oil, add the onion and seasonings. Once it begins to soften and becomes translucent, after about 4 minutes, add the bell peppers to the pan and cook for an additional 4 minutes until they are soft.
- Transfer the veggies and their juices into the chicken pan, mix to combine the peppers and chicken juices, and serve.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 83.4 mg
- Fat: 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 39.9 g
- Cholesterol: 139.4 mg
Leave a Reply