Jun 6, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hands down, this will be the best Spanish cauliflower rice you’ll make. It’s the perfect recipe to eat low-carb without giving up the flavor and taste you love from the classic.
In this recipe, the head of cauliflower is priced, then sauteed with the classic Spanish spices and cooked to perfection.
Yes, I’m confident that with this easy cauliflower rice recipe you’ll continue to eat low-carb and healthy all at once without missing grains.
Best Spanish Cauliflower Rice
Using is an easy and delicious alternative to using white rice or brown rice to make classic recipes. What sets this simple Spanish-style cauliflower rice apart from other recipes is that it’s full of authentic flavors (I’m from Spain and can attest to this) and I give you a few options to make it your own.
You can choose from making the “rice” from a head of cauliflower, using a bag of store-bought riced cauliflower, or even frozen cauliflower to create this simple low-carb rice. Read more about the nutritional benefits of cauliflower rice here.
Once you figure out what you’re going to use, it will become a staple in your low-carb meal planning quite often.
When you can achieve amazing flavor without the guilt or worry of excess carbs and calories, why wouldn’t you?
Spanish Rice Cauliflower Ingredients
Here’s everything that you need to make Spanish rice using cauliflower:
- head of cauliflower, riced, or bag riced cauliflower: any option you choose will work for this recipe.
- olive oil: to saute up the cauliflower.
- onion: diced small so they mix with rice and season it all.
- cloves garlic: minced into smaller pieces. You can also use garlic powder.
- cumin: gives a smoky flavor and taste.
- paprika: adds a nice kick to the cauliflower.
- salt: always a must.
- tomato paste: gives the cauliflower a light coating that isn’t overpowering.
- water*: if you’re using frozen cauliflower instead of fresh, you may not need to add water to thin out the paste.
- lime: a must for citrus flavor.
- fresh cilantro: chop up the cilantro and use it as a garnish to add flavor.
Another method to do this would be to mix everything in a bowl and roast it following the method in this Roasted Cauliflower Rice Recipe since the oven brings out the caramelized flavors of the cauliflower.
Fresh or Frozen Cauli Rice?
For all cauliflower rice recipes, you can use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice; just note that if you’re using frozen, be sure to thaw it first and ring out some of the water by placing the thawed cauli rice on a clean kitchen towel and ringing out the excess water.
Frozen rice has more moisture in it than raw, so you may not need as much (or any) water to help dissolve the tomato paste.
Check out my simple steps on How to Make Cauliflower Rice in the Blender when you want fresh cauli rice made fast.
How To Make Spanish Cauliflower Rice
I love using this as a side dish to any meal because it’s a quick 10-minute recipe.
If the cauliflower isn’t already riced, rice it up.
- Cook the onion
Add the onion to a skillet heated with olive oil and sauté. Add the garlic and cook for a few extra minutes.
- Cook the riced cauliflower
Add the cauliflower rice to the same skillet and cook. Pour the seasonings into the skillet and stir to cook.
- Add the tomato paste
Once the cauliflower rice has started to soften, add the tomato paste and water and stir. Once it’s combined and mixed well, turn off the heat to the burner.
Serve and top with fresh cilantro and lime.
Make this simple Spanish rice along with me using this quick video recipe.
Is Spanish Cauliflower Rice Keto?
Yes, Spanish Cauliflower Rice is keto-friendly and this rice recipe is a great alternative for anyone living a low carb lifestyle that wants to enjoy flavorful meals.
What to Serve with Cauliflower Spanish Rice
This simple cauliflower recipe is super versatile and pairs well with anything or even topped with a fried egg. I love to pair it with:
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head of cauliflower riced or
- 16 oz bag riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water*
- 1 lime divided
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- If using a head of cauliflower, rice it first.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat, once hot, heat up the oil. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes, until softened, then add garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine with the onions and garlic. Add the cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine the seasoning with the cauliflower rice while it cooks.
- Once the cauliflower rice has begun to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes in, add the tomato paste and water, and stir to combine. Once the mixture has heated through and incorporated into the rice, turn off the heat. Squeeze half a lime and mix to incorporate it into the cauliflower rice.
- Serve hot garnished with additional cilantro and a slice of lime.
I love cauliflower rice, can’t wait to try this!